Gerald Ciolek (MTN-Qhubeka) made his mark on the Tour of Britain today, winning stage 2 between Carlisle and Kendal.
The first ever African ProContinental squad is growing in stature with each race and Milan-San Remo winner Ciolek, who will celebrate his 27th birthday on Thursday’s stage 6 to Caerphilly, was touted as one to watch on the sprint stages. Indeed, a team mechanic was confident enough to say if we’d waited we could have had photos of a stage winning bike. That proved to be correct.
Ciolek’s Tour of Britain Trek Madone 7-Series looks like it has had a hell of a season and bears the scars and chips gathered on numerous days’ racing. However the cosmetic damage to the Project One paint job belies a rock solid race platform.
With 12 UCI wins to the squad’s credit this year, MTN-Qhubeka’s immediate future is looking bright and in July, Ciolek re-signed with the squad for two more years. And in the last couple of weeks, it announced Castelli as clothing sponsor for two years and reaffirmed Trek as bike sponsor for the coming season too.
Click on the gallery for a closer look at Ciolek’s Trek Madone 7-Series.
The hollow axle on the SRAM Red SRM crankset means Cioek’s bike is on the UCI weight limit – smaller team frames were filled for extra weight
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: 54cm Trek Madone 7-Series H1
- Fork: Trek Madone KVF full carbon
- Headset: 1 1/8-to-1 1/2" tapered
- Stem: Bontrager Rhythm Pro 130mm
- Handlebars: BontragerRace Lite Anatomic-C bars 42cm
- Tape/grips: Bontrager cork
- Front brake: Bontrager Direct Mount
- Rear brake: Shimano
- Brake levers: SRAM Red
- Front derailleur: SRAM Red
- Rear derailleur: SRAM Red
- Shift levers: SRAM Red DoubleTap
- Cassette: SRAM Red 26-11
- Chain: SRAM PC1090
- Crankset: SRAM RED SRM 53-39
- Bottom bracket: Trek BB90 integrated
- Pedals: Speedplay
- Wheelset: Zipp 404 Firecrest
- Front tire: Veloflex Carbon 25mm
- Rear tire: Veloflex Carbon 25mm
- Saddle: Bontrager Paradigm XXX
- Seat post: Bontrager Ride Tuned Carbon
- Bottle cages: Elite Custom Race (2)
- Computer: SRM PowerControl7 (not fixed)
- Rider's height: 179cm (5' 10")
- Rider's weight: 75kg (165lb)
- Saddle height, from BB (c-t): 740mm
- Saddle setback: 50mm
- Seat tube length, c-c: 533mm
- Tip of saddle nose to C of bars (next to stem): 575mm
- Head tube length: 150mm
- Top tube length: 543mm
- Total bicycle weight: w/o computer 6.82kg (15.04lb)