After two years as a lead sprinter, Mark Renshaw returns to the side of his former teammate Mark Cavendish, re-creating the sprint force that we last saw in 2011. With this, Cavendish should have plenty of confidence going into 2014 against the likes of Peter Sagan, Marcel Kittel and Andre Greipel.
Moving to Omega Pharma-QuickStep means Renshaw is re-united with the Specialized Venge. We recently took a look at the Cavendish's S-Works Venge, a bike built for pure speed and one that shares many similarities to Renshaw’s.
The Venge is a sprinter's weapon, offering a stiff, wind cheating module with pure speed purpose. Most of the Omega Pharma team actually ride the S-Works Tarmac SL4, leaving the Venge to the team’s sprinters.
Renshaw’s setup does away with the Venge’s integrated-aero headset cover in order to get extremely low. This provides an incredible 140mm saddle to bar drop – something not often seen with a 1.79m (5ft 10in) rider.
The rest of the bike is a few ceramic bearings, bottle cages and pedals away from being exclusively Specialized and SRAM.
A mostly stock SRAM RED22 drivetrain is accompanied by Specialized’s OSBB S-Works Carbon cranks, with Quarq power meter and a solid SRAM outer chainring,
The Zipp 404s are covered with Specialized S-Works Turbo All-Round tubulars in 24mm, a model that is still unavailable for sale, and the same tyre that’s readily available in a clincher version.
Zipp provides the ultimately-stiff Sprint SL carbon stem, and a slightly heavier and less-matched SL-70 aluminium handlebar.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Specialized S-Works Venge, 54cm
- Fork: Specialized S-Works FACT
- Headset: 1 1/8-to-1 3/8in tapered w/ CeramicSpeed bearings
- Stem: Zipp SL Sprint, 120mm x -12°
- Handlebar: Zipp SL-70, 40cm (c-c)
- Tape: Specialized S-Wrap Roubaix
- Front brake: SRAM Red 22 DoubleTap
- Rear brake: SRAM Red w/ Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro pads
- Brake levers: SRAM Red w/ Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro pads
- Front derailleur: SRAM Red 22
- Rear derailleur: SRAM Red 22
- Shift levers: SRAM Red 22 DoubleTap
- Cassette: SRAM PG-1170, 11-28T
- Chain: SRAM RED22
- Crankset: Specialized S-Works w/ Quarq power meter, 170mm, 53/39T
- Bottom bracket: Specialized OSBB w/ CeramicSpeed bearings
- Pedals: Look Keo Blade 1 CR (16 release)
- Wheelset: Zipp 404 Firecrest Carbon tubular
- Front tire: Specialized S-Works Turbo All-Round tubular 24c
- Rear tire: Specialized S-Works Turbo All-Round tubular 24c
- Saddle: Specialized S-Works Romin, 143mm
- Seatpost: Specialized S-Works Venge
- Bottle cages: Tacx Tao (2), SRAM QuickView computer mount
- Rider's height: 1.79m (5ft 10in)
- Rider's weight: 73kg (161lb)
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 747mm
- Saddle setback: 65mm
- Seat tube length (c-t): 507mm
- Seat tube length (c-c): 460mm
- Tip of saddle to center of bar: 560mm
- Saddle-to-bar drop: 140mm
- Head tube length: 140mm
- Top tube length (effective): 565mm
- Total bicycle weight: 7.25kg (15.95lb)