One-time team Sky rider Russell Downing will be back racing on the UK domestic circuit in 2014, riding for a team that's intent on cycling domination: NFTO.
Since the squad was formed at the back end of 2011, NFTO – Not For The Ordinary – has grown from a local trade squad offering youngsters a chance to ride competitively to capturing high calibre riders such as Russell Downing, who rode for Netapp-Endura in 2013, his brother Dean from Madison-Genesis, and Adam Blythe, picked from BMC racing.
It's an indication surely, that the team means business.
Last week, most of the squad gathered at The Shed bike shop near Hereford – which also doubles as the service course – for the dreaded pre-season ramp fitness tests. BikeRadar went along to watch the torture, and between sessions, we saw 35-year-old Downing's brand new Swift Ultravox TI being built up.
It's an impressive, WorldTour-level ensemble with a custom paintjob. The 11-speed Shimano Dura-Ace handles the braking and transmission so there'll be no problems on that front.
The riders are allowed to pick their choice of finishing kit, hence the mix 'n' match approach to stem, bar and saddle on Downing's Swift.
There's some relative exotica in there too, such at the cultish deep-section ENVE tubulars rolling on pro-issue Continental tyres and a Stages Power Meter left crank.
But it’s the artwork that sets the bike apart. There a great big nod to Downing's status at National Criterium Champ and it constantly references the new squad.
Complete bike specification:
- Frame: Swift Ultravox Team Issue – 490mm XS
- Fork: Swift Ultravox Team Issue
- Stem: ENVE 130mm -6 degrees
- Handlebars: Deda Newton Anatomic 400mm c-t-c
- Tape/grips: Pro Microfibre White
- Frontbrake: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Rearbrake: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Brakelevers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 ST-9070
- Frontderailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 FD-9070
- Rearderailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 RD-9070
- Shiftlevers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 ST-9070
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 11-25
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 170mm 53/39
- Bottombracket: Praxis Works PF30/BB30 Converter
- Pedals: Speedplay Zero Stainless
- Wheelset: ENVE SES 6.7
- Fronttyre: Continental pro issue tubular
- Reartyre: Continental pro issue tubular
- Saddle: Prologo Zero II
- Seatpost: ENVE 27.2mm with 25mm Layback
- Bottlecages: Arundel Sport (2)
- Computer: Garmin 510
- Otheraccessories: Stages Cycling power meter, Shimano Dura-Ace Sprint Shifters
- Rider's height: 171cm (5ft 7in)
- Rider's weight: 64kg (141lb)
- Saddle height, from BB (c-t): 673mm
- Saddle setback: 37mm
- Seat tube length, c-t: 49mm
- Tip of saddle nose to C of bars (next to stem): 607mm
- Saddle-to-bar drop (vertical): 49mm
- Top tube length: 521mm
- Total bicycle weight: 7.25kg (15.9lb)