Tinkoff's world champion Peter Sagan will continue to bring the bling in 2016, thanks in part to the unique paint work done by Ron Jones on his new Specialized S-Works Venge ViAS.
With the elongated tube shapes of the aero bike offering a wide canvas, Specialized lead performance road graphic designer Jones assimilated a few motifs: the world champion's rainbow, the Slovakian flag, the names of all the men's road world champions — yes, including Lance Armstrong — and a camouflage pattern.
"The finish uses PPG's Prizmatique to create the rainbow effect in the paint," Jones told BikeRadar. "The camo also transitions from world champ colors to the Slovak flag colors with the cross from the flag positioned through the frame graphic."
Specialized rolled out the ViAS last year as a substantial, multi-year reworking of the California company's original Venge aero bike. In the pursuit of lower aero drag, Specialized engineers streamlined everything they could, tucking the Di2 shift wires and brake cables into the stem before routing them through the frame, and building proprietary brake calipers that sit inline behind the fork legs and down tube.
Jones collaborated with Sagan for the first camo bike Specialized did for him last year. "For the world champs I wanted to surprise him with something really cool and unique," Jones said. "I worked with another road designer name Rodney Hines to develop the shapes and I then applied the camo pattern and other details to the frame. We pulled it together from blank slate to delivering the Tarmac frame to Peter in about one week. The Venge had a slightly longer lead time so I was able to tweak the design a little further to allow it to fit the Venge’s unique tube shapes."
Sagan rode a Specialized S-Works Tarmac to his world championship title in Virginia, attacking over the final hill and crouching down on the top tube for maximum aero advantage on the descent. Specialized is hoping to see many more Saga victories in 2016 — this time aboard this glittery ViAS.
Peter Sagan has added his name to the elite list of world champions, which are listed on the bike's down tube inside the S-Works logo
Complete bike specs
- Frame: Specialized S-Works Venge Vias, 56cm
- Fork: Specialized S-Works Venge Vias
- Headset: Specialized S-Works Venge Vias by Ceramicspeed
- Stem: Specialized S-Works Venge Vias
- Handlebar: Specialized S-Works Venge Vias, 42cm
- Handlebar tape: Specialized Roubaix
- Front brake: Specialized S-Works Venge Vias
- Rear brake: Specialized S-Works Venge Vias
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
- Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace 11 speed
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace 11 speed
- Cranks: Shimano Dura-Ace (172.5mm)
- Power meter: SRM
- Bottom bracket: Ceramic Speed
- Pedals: Look Keo Blade2
- Wheels: Roval CLX40
- Tubulars: Specialized Turbo AllAround
- Saddle: Prologo Scratch2
- Seatpost: FSA K-Force