Pivot has redesigned the Firebird, a legendary name from the Arizona brand. Calling it the "holy grail of long-trail mountain bikes..." puts pretty big expectations on it, especially in the hotly contested enduro segment.
The original Firebird was renowned for both its descending prowess and its ability to scratch its way up the nastiest climbs. Basically, if you had the power, the Firebird would ascend almost any trail.
However, it was also known for its short front end, which could make it a handful in truly dicey situations. The updated Firebird takes its geometry cues Pivot's downhill bike, the Phoenix. As is the trend with aggressive mountain bikes, it's seriously long. Pivot claims it has one of the longest reaches. It's also slack with a 65-degree head angle, and features stubby, 16.95in chainstays.
In with the new
The full carbon frame is said to meet the same strength and stiffness tests as their Phoenix downhill bike. The revised dw-link rear end follows in the Phoenix's footsteps with a rearward axle path for the first 1/3 of the 170mm travel. The rearward axle path is designed to maintain speed over square-edge hits.
Even with Boost axle spacing front and rear, the Firebird is not plus-size tire compatible. Pivot claims 2.5in rubber will fit nicely. Eight build kits are offered and complete bikes can be built up under 28lbs.
Pivot Firebird features
- Full carbon frame featuring leading edge carbon fiber materials and Pivot's proprietary hollow core internal molding technology
- Phoenix DH-influenced long and low geometry
- Short 430mm (16.95”) chainstays
- 170mm dw-link™ rear suspension with upper clevis and linkage and double wishbone rear triangle
- Fox Float Factory X2 rear shock
- Features a 170mm Fox 36 Factory fork
- 27.5 wheel compatible, fits tires up to 2.5” wide
- Boost spacing front and rear
- Front derailleur compatible with Pivot’s stealth E-Type mounting system.
- 180mm rear post mounts (no adaptor required)
- Pivot Cable Port system for easy internal routing of shifters, brakes and droppers and full Di2 Integration
- Internal dropper post compatible
- Cold forged alloy linkages with Enduro Max Cartridge Bearings
- New ultra quiet low durometer rubberized frame protection
- Available in sizes S, M, L, XL for riders between 5'4" and 6'7
Pivot Firebird pricing
Eight kits are available. Pricing from $4,999 to $9,899. (UK and Australian pricing was not immediately available.)