Starting his 2018 season with a victory, German sprinter Andre Greipel outfoxed Caleb Ewan and Peter Sagan to take the win in the opening stage of the Tour Down Under from Port Adelaide to Lyndoch.
- Tour Down Under 2018 news and bike galleries
- New year, new gear — pros don the latest kit at the first WorldTour race of the season
His custom-painted Ridley Noah SL features a Gorilla on either side of the head tube, and despite standing 1.84m tall the German rides a size small frame, likely in an effort to get the stiffest chassis possible in the final sprint.
Interestingly, the fork on Greipel's bike was devoid of the Ridley F-split design, which is said to clean up the airflow around spinning wheels.
Counting Greipel's massive watts is an SRM power meter paired with a PC8 headunit at the front, and lower down on the bike the mechanics have added a bit of Lizard Skins bar tape to his Look Keo Blade 2 Ti pedals for some added security when the power is being put down.
The German rider runs a full Campagnolo Super Record EPS drivetrain with 54/39 chainrings at the front and an 11-29 cassette at the back.
His cockpit is made of up a Deda Superzero alloy bar and stem, which measure 400mm and 140mm respectively. The handlebar is finished with the same Lizard Skins DPS bar tape that features on the pedals.
They say once you’ve found a saddle you like, hold onto it for dear life and with this old-school Selle Italia Turbomatic (also in custom Gorilla trim) — which dates back to when Jan Ullrich was still a pro rider — it seems Greipel abides by this adage.
Given his speed prowess, it’s no surprise to see Greipel rolling on Campy’s Bora Ultra 50 wheelset, which are packaged in Vittoria Corsa 25c tubular tyres. It’s also no surprise, with a clear focus on aero gains, that the sprinter's bike tips the scales at a portly (by WorldTour standards) 7.63kg.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Ridley Noah SL
- Fork: Ridley Noah SL
- Stem: Deda Superzero, 140mm
- Handlebar: Deda Superzero, 400mm
- Tape: Lizard Skins DPS
- Front brake: Campagnolo Super Record
- Rear brake: Campagnolo Super Record
- Front derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record EPS
- Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record EPS
- Brake/shift levers: Campagnolo Super Record EPS
- Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record 11-29t
- Chain: Campagnolo Super Record
- Crankset: Campagnolo Super Record with SRM, 172.5mm, 54/39
- Wheelset: Campagnolo Bora Ultra 50
- Tyres: Vittoria Corsa tubular 25c
- Saddle: Selle Italia Turbomatic in custom finish
- Seatpost: Ridley Noah SL
- Bottle cages: Tacx Deva
- Rider’s weight: 75kg
- Rider’s height: 1.84m
- Saddle height, from bottom bracket (c-t): 765mm
- Seat tube length: 490mm
- Tip of saddle nose to centre of handlebars: 575mm
- Head tube length: 145mm
- Top tube length: 545mm
- Total bike weight: 7.63kg
Click or swipe through the gallery above for a detailed look at the Gorilla’s race bike.