AG2R's Romain Bardet claimed stage 18 of the Tour de France aboard a Focus Izalco Max, one of the few externally cabled bikes at this year's Tour. Before the Tour began, we weighed Bardet's bike as shown at 6.75kg, just under the UCI minimum of 6.8kg. However, we weighed the bike without Bardet's Garmin Edge computer and the GPS unit all Tour riders must use, which combined surely put Bardet's bike back within UCI regulations.
Bardet has blacked-out Continental Competition LTD tubulars on his Zipp 202s. BikeRadar counted eight of the 22 Tour de France teams racing on Continental this year. Some are sponsored by the German manufacturer; others are not.
AG2R is the lone SRAM-sponsored team at this year's Tour. Each rider has a bike with SRAM's not-yet-released electric group, but they aren't necessarily riding those bikes everyday. On stage 18, Bardet was on a SRAM Red 22 mechanical bike.
When will we finally see this SRAM electric group go public? SRAM's European road sports marketing manager Jason Phillips told BikeRadar, "We are getting closer and closer to launch," but he would not say when, what the group will be called or anything else.
Check out the gallery above for a closer look at Bardet's winning machine, and be sure to visit Cyclingnews for complete coverage of the Tour de France.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Focus Izalco Max
- Fork: Focus Izalco Max
- Stem: Fizik Cyrano R3 stem 120mm
- Handlebar: Fizik Cyrano R1 bar 40cm
- Brake calipers: SRAM Red
- Front derailleur: SRAM Red 22
- Rear derailleur: SRAM Red 22
- Shifters: SRAM Red 22
- Cassette: SRAM Red, 11-28
- Chain: SRAM Red 22
- Cranks: SRAM Red, 53/39t, 175mm
- Power meter :Quarq
- Pedals: Look Keo Blade
- Wheels: Zipp 202
- Tubulars: Continental Competition LTD
- Saddle: Fizik Arione VSX
- Other: SRAM Garmin mount
- Complete bike weight: 6.75kg /14.88lb (without Garmin Edge or ASO’s GPS transponder)
- Rider's height: 6'1" / 1.85m
- Rider's weight: 148 lbs / 67kg
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 76cm
- Tip of saddle to handlebar: 58cm
- Saddle to bar drop: 11cm