You’ve made it. You’re about to go away for a full season of uninterrupted riding in a destination of your choice. But before you do, your stacked bank account is about to have its frothy head sliced as you choose your dream bike build.
That’s the scenario for this week’s Over to You, where I’d like you to list the components of your very own dream bike build. Go all out, the price is just a number.
My choice isn't the most imaginative, yet it's a choice that harks back to a press launch a few years back when I found myself falling in love with the then new Tallboy 2.
The riding I experienced and the way the Tallboy dealt out smiles the whole time made me really, really not want to give the bike back. The Tallboy has been revised since then but remains an itch I’ve wanted to scratch ever since I got off that saddle back in 2013.
Anyway, here’s my dream build:
- Frame: Santa Cruz Tallboy CC in custom black/gold, think Lotus JPS colours (size XXL)
- Fork: RockShox Pike RCT3 Solo Air, 120mm (custom slik graphics decals)
- Shock: Fox Float Factory
- Headset: Works Components Angleset
- Stem: Renthal Apex 35mm
- Handlebar: Renthal Fatbar Carbon, 780mm
- Grips: Renthal Traction lock-on
- Front brake: Shimano XTR M9000 Race, 180mm rotor
- Rear brake: Shimano XTR M9000 Race, 160mm rotor
- Brake levers: Shimano XTR M9000 Race
- Rear derailleur: SRAM XX1 Eagle
- Shift lever: SRAM XX1 Eagle
- Cassette: SRAM XX1 Eagle
- Chain: SRAM XX1 Eagle
- Crankset: SRAM XX1 Eagle
- Pedals: DMR Vault flats (black/gold pins)
- Wheelset: ENVE M60 Forty on Chris King ISO 6B hubs
- Front tyre: Maxxis Minion DHF Exo 3c; 29x2.3
- Rear tyre: Maxxis Ardent Race Exo: 29x2.35in
- Saddle: Custom Fizik Tundra M1
- Seatpost: RockShox Reverb, 170mm
To get involved copy and paste the spec box below, changing the frame and components to reflect your own dream build. Road bikes, 'cross bikes or any other builds are also welcome!