Reigning Enduro World Series champion Jerome Clementz put his stamp on the 2014 season, besting all rivals at the Enduro World Series opener in Nevados de Chilian, Chile. The six-stage race was a hard fought battle that saw all three all three podium positions change hands over two days of racing. Australian Jared Graves held the lead over Clements after day one, but the French enduro specialist sped away during the final stage to take the win aboard his Cannondale Jekyll 27.5.
When we last caught up with the 30-year-old Frenchman he was racing the 26in version of the Jekyll. This season he’s aboard a carbon Jekyll built around 27.5in wheels.
In addition to larger wheels, the new 27.5in edition gets slacker geometry, better suited to high-speed enduro racing and a 10mm increase in travel via the Fox DYAD RT2 rear shock.
Designed specifically for Cannondale, this pull shock has separate high- and low-volume air chambers. The high-volume chamber is used in the full 160mm travel setting. In the low-volume mode, the rear suspension stiffens, allowing for approximately 95mm of rear travel. This raises the rear of the bike, steepening the angles and making Jekyll a more capable climber during transition stages.
While the top-end production Jekyll 27.5 sports the new Lefty Supermax fork, Clementz, as a SRAM-sponsored athlete, runs the very capable 160mm RockShox Pike. Other SRAM components include the new SRAM Guide RSC brakes with 180mm rotors, an XX1 drivetrain with a 36t chainring, and Clementz’ signature carbon handlebar.
A 160mm RockShox Pike keeps Clementz pointed in the right direction
Clementz' handlebar arrangement is rather unique. The left side of bar is set up for operating the RockShox Reverb seatpost as well as switching between the two modes of the Fox DYAD RT2 rear shock. Clementz uses a front X0 Gripshift lever to switch between the shock’s 160mm downhill mode and the 95mm travel position for extended climbs.
This X0 Gripshifter has been repurposed to serve as a travel adjuster on Clementz' Jekyll 27.5
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Cannondale Jekyll 27.5 Carbon Team, medium
- Fork: RockShox Pike, 160mm
- Rear shock: Fox DYAD RT2
- Cranks: SRAM XX1 w/36t chainring
- Chainguide: Truvativ
- Chain: SRAM XX1
- Cassette: SRAM X01
- Brakes: SRAM Guide RSC, 180mm rotors
- Shift lever: SRAM XX1
- Front derailleur: N/A
- Rear derailleur: SRAM XX1
- Wheelset: Mavic Crossmax Enduro
- Front tire: Mavic Crossmax Charge
- Rear tire: Mavic Crossmax Roam XL
- Saddle: WTB Volt
- Seatpost: RockShox Reverb Stealth
- Stem: Truvativ Holzfeller, 50mm
- Handlebar: Truvativ Jerome Clementz BlackBox, 750mm
- Grips: WTB Moto X Clamp
- Pedals: Shimano XTR XC PD-M980
- Accessories: Front XO Gripshifter to operate the rear suspension, Mucky Nutz front fender
- Rider's height: 5’6”/1.69m
- Rider's weight: 141lb/64kg
- Total bike weight: 27.5lb/12.4kg