Spanish freerider Andreu Lacondeguy won this weekend’s Kona White Style slopestyle contest in Leogang, Austria.
UK rider Lance McDermott won the “Sickest Trick Award” on his way to second place for his tuck no hand frontflip – the first time the trick had been pulled off at a mountain bike competition. German Amir Kabbani came third.
Twenty-three riders from 12 countries threw down some impressive tricks, from Czech rider Thomas Zejda’s tailwhips at the starting drop to Swede Martin Soederstroem pulling clean double tailwhips at the final booter.
Lacondeguy took the win with huge flat-spin 360s, extended Superman seat-grabs and backflips up and down the step-up/step-down box.
He said: “Man, I love those doubles. That’s the way they should be – Big! I hope most of this year’s comps will go even bigger than last season. The progression has to go on. We ride mountain bikes, not BMX bikes. We need huge jumps at least 10 metres high and in distance.”
- Andreu Lacondeguy (ESP / Kona)
- Lance Mc Dermott (GBR / Scott)
- Amir Kabbani (GER / Cannondale)
- Martin Soederstroem (SWE / NS Bikes)
- Trond Hansen (NOR / Specialized)
- Grant Fielder (GBR / Kona)
- Yannick Granieri (FRA / Giant)
- Sam Pilgrim (GBR / Diamondback)
- Damian Siriski (CZE / Author)
- Niki Leitner (AUT / Kona)