Armstrong drops French lawsuits
After a series of recent legal rulings in his favour, Lance Armstrong has decided to end all defamat
PIC BY TDWSPORT.COM
Lance Armstrong has dropped all defamation suits he had running in France following a series of allegations that he used performance-enhancing drugs. The seven-time Tour winner’s French lawyers Donald Manasse and Christian Charriere-Bournazel said Armstrong had reached the decision after three recent court rulings had gone in his favour.
“Mr Armstrong considers that his honour and reputation have been re-established for all people who examine the facts in good faith and that no further purpose is served now in pursuing other actions in defamation,” said his lawyers’ statement. The most immediate effect of the decision is the dropping of a defamation case against the authors of the controversial book LA Confidential: The Secrets of Lance Armstrong, David Walsh and Pierre Ballester, which had been due to start in Paris on Tuesday.
Armstrong received a ruling in his favour last week at the High Court in London in a case against the Sunday Times, which had run extracts from the Walsh and Ballester book. That followed the recent decision of an arbitration tribunal in Texas ordering insurance company SCA Promotions to pay Armstrong $7.5 million dollars on an unpaid policy which the company had refused to hand over, citing allegations from the book.