Lance Armstrong’s libel case against the Sunday Times has been given a start date of November 6 afte
PIC BY TDWSPORT.COM
The hearing of Lance Armstrong’s libel case against the Sunday Times is set to start on November 6. The announcement came after the Court of Appeal ruled last Friday that the British newspaper was entitled to argue that it could print a story containing allegations that Armstrong had taken performance-enhancing drugs in reviewing the book LA Confidential: The Secrets of Lance Armstrong in June 2004. Armstrong has denied all doping allegations.
With regard to the ruling released on Friday, the Court of Appeal judges agreed with the paper that it was entitled to argue such a story was privileged on the basis it was in the public interest and the newspaper had a duty to publish it. The court also ruled that when the case comes to court the paper can argue a number of points which it says justified publication of the story. These points had previously been struck out by the High Court, as had their claims of a public interest defence.
“Our client remains confident that this defence will fail and that he will receive the vindication from the court which he has been entitled to since the publication of these false and damaging allegations in June 2004,” said Armstrong’s lawyer, Matthew Himsworth.
This latest legal news involving Armstrong follows closely on the decision made by an Italian prosecutor last week to drop an investigation into the American’s 2004 Tour de France spat with Italian rider Filippo Simeoni, ruling that the incident was part of a sporting event and was not related to public life.