Spanish ex-road pro Abraham Olano has signed up to do the "90 Challenge", the 77km amateur event after the UCI MTB World Cup Marathon in Gran Canaria on March 17. Olano, who won the world road and time trial championships and the Tour of Spain during his professional career, has remained active in the sport since his retirement several years ago. He recently presented the Cycling Race of Champions in Abu Dhabi, the world's richest cycling event.
Olano joins riders such as Alejandro D¡az de la Pe¤a, the Spanish favourite, Gilberto Simoni, twice winner of the Giro d'Italia, and Pia Sundstedt, winner of the Marathon MTB World Cup in 2006. There are more than 450 athletes registered to take part in the events over the weekend. As well as the racing, there will be exhibitions and competitions for the general public and a race village with novelties from the cycling world.
The start and finish of the circuit will be in the Wild West theme park Sioux City, next to Maspalomas. Spectators will be able to watch the action for free.
Abraham Olano's career highlights:
- Spanish Time Trial Champion in 1994
- Spanish Road Champion in 1994
- World Road Champion in 1995
- 2nd in the World Time Trial Championships in 1995
- 2nd in the Vuelta a Espa¤a 1995
- 3rd in the Giro de Italia 1995 and 1996
- 2nd in the Olympic Time Trial in Atlanta 1996
- 5th in the Tour de France 1996
- 4th in the Tour de France 1997
- 1st in the Vuelta a Espa¤a 1998
- World Time Trial Champion in 1998
- 2nd in the Giro de Italia 2001