The biggest names in dirt jumping will compete at the 2009 Big in Bavaria Munich event on July 25-26, making the debut event one of the biggest in Europe.
Confirmed riders include Andreu Lacondeguy, Darren Berrecloth, Martin Söderström, Trond Hansen, Lance McDermott, Corey Bohan, James Foster, Ryan Guettler, Dave Dillewaard and Cameron White, who include X Games, Dew Tour, Red Bull Elevation, Crankworx and Qashqai Challenge winners.
“I'm looking forward to some good times with some great friends while getting loose on our bikes and taking in new parts of the world,“ said Rob Darden, American BMX pro and thirrd at the 2008 X Games.
Darden’s Colombian BMX buddy Alejandro Caro has promised to “pull it as hard as he can”, while Dave Dillewaard from Australia can’t wait to taste the Bavarian beer.
“I (was) born and had been raised in Munich – it’s my home," added Benny Korthaus, former BMX pro and now dirt jumper. "For the first time I’ve got the chance to have pretty much all of my old BMX mates as well as my mountain bike friends in one place for a great weekend and beyond.
"For sure it’s also just great to show my family here in Munich, what I do for living. With their support, as well as the one from all my local friends here, I am sure to be able show stuff that I have never shown before!”
- Darren Pokoj (AUS/Felt)
- Darren Berrecloth (CAN/Specialized)
- Andreu Lacondeguy (ESP/Kona)
- Lluis Lacondeguy (ESP/Kona)
- Lance McDermott (GBR/Scott)
- Sam Pilgrim (GBR/Diamondback)
- Amir Kabbani (GER/Cannondale)
- Andi Wittmann (GER/Giant)
- Benny Korthaus (GER/Specialized)
- Marius Hoppensack (GER/Scott)
- Trond Hansen (NOR/Specialized)
- Martin Söderström (SWE/NS Bikes)
- Andrew Taylor (USA/Marin)
- Cameron Zink (USA/Felt)
- Greg Watts (USA/Gary Fisher)
- Jamie Goldman (USA/Santa Cruz)
- Paul Basagoitia (USA/Kona)
- Cameron White (AUS/Mongoose)
- Corey Bohan (AUS/Giant)
- Dave Dillewaard (AUS/GT)
- Luke Parslow (AUS/Forgotten Bikes)
- Ryan Guettler (AUS/MirraCo )
- Alejandro Caro (COL/wethepeople)
- Alex Dropsy (FRA/Twenty)
- Nicolas Bertier (FRA/Dragonfly)
- Patrick Guimez (FRA/Koxx)
- Romuald Noirot (FRA/MacNeil)
- Ben Hennon (GBR/Seventies)
- Markus Hampl (GER/Twenty)
- Chris Doyle (USA/Kink Bikes)
- James Foster (USA/KHE)
- Mike Clark (USA/Redline)
- Rob Darden (USA/Haro)
- TJ Ellis (USA/Bulldog Bikes)
The head of course construction, BMX pro Markus Hampl, plans on using over 2,000 tons of dirt for the 180 metre (about 200 yards) course. Some sections of the Big in Bavaria jumps will feature two parallel dirt lines, which enable the riders to take challenging transfers. An overall prize money fund of 20,000 euros is set aside for each category. For more information, visit www.myspace.com/biginbavaria.