John Murphy and Tina Pic won the men's and women's professional and elite USA Cycling Professional Criterium Championships in Chicago Sunday.
Murphy (OUCH-Maxxis) captured his first career pro criterium professional title with a second-place effort behind Ben Kersten of Australia. Murphy placed second overall on Sunday but was the first American across the line to secure the title ahead of BMC’s Tony Cruz who sprinted to third.
In the women's elite race, Pic (Colavita-Sutter Home-Cooking Light) sprinted to her sixth career title in the women’s race, while Justin England (California Giant Berry Farms) earned a victory in the elite men’s contest.
After winning four straight titles from 2002 to 2005 and again in 2007, Pic regained the national champion’s jersey from the 2008 winner and this year’s second-place finisher Brooke Miller (Team TIBCO). Shelley Olds (Proman), Jennifer McRae (Team Type I) and Theresa Cliff-Ryan (Verducci-Breakaway) rounded out the top five in the field sprint. Pic also announced that she will retire at the end of this month.
"I lost this race a lot of times and made a lot of big mistakes before I ever won it," said Pic, who started her professional career in 1996.
"I'm nostalgic leaving the peloton this year, and it's going to be really hard. My team was and always had been amazing. They kept going and going today. We had to chase a lot of moves today."
Elite men's race
In the elite men’s race, Justin England (Cal Giant Berry Farms) won the field sprint ahead of Paul Martin (Panther-RCF Cycling) and Michael Margariet (CRCA-Empire Cycling Team).
2009 USA Cycling Elite and Professional Criterium National Championships
Downers Grove, Illinois - August 16
1. Ben Kersten (AUS/Fly-V Australia)
2. John Murphy (Ouch-Maxxis)*
3. Antonio Cruz (BMC Racing)
4. Jake Keough (Kelly Benefit Strategies)
5. Adam Myerson (Mountain Khakis)
*USA Cycling Professional National Champion
1. Tina Pic (Colavita-Sutter Home-Cooking Light)
2. Brooke Miller (Team TIBCO)
3. Shelley Olds (Proman Hit Squad)
4. Jen McRae (Team Type I)
5. Theresa Cliff-Ryan (Verducci-Breakaway)
1. Justin England (Cal Giant Berry Farms)
2. Paul Martin (Panther-RCF Cycling)
3. Michael Margariet (CRCA-Empire Cycling Team)
4. Zach Watson (ABC Cycling Team)
5. Steve Reaney (Cal Giant Berry Farms)
For complete results, visit http://www.dgcycling.com/results_photos.cfm.