Compton and Trebon defend US national cyclocross crowns
The defending US Elite men’s and women’s champions Ryan Trebon and Katie Compton are among the top American cyclocross riders lining up at this week’s USA Cycling National Cyclocross Championships in Kansas City, Kansas.
Compton, of Colorado Springs, has won the past three Women’s Elite titles and was the silver medallist at the 2007 UCI Cyclocross World Championships. According to the latest UCI ranking the 29-year-old is currently the No. 2 female cyclocross racer in the world. Her strongest rivals in the 98-rider field are expected to be Georgia Gould from Ketchum, Idaho and Kerry Barnholt from Boulder, Colorado.
In the Elite men’s event Ryan Trebon, a resident of Corvallis, Oregon who won the 2007 overall series title of the U.S. Gran Prix of Cyclocross will face stiff competition from a host of pretenders to his crown. They most serious will include three-time national cyclocross champion Jonathan Page and USGP series runner-up Tim Johnson. A record total of 2,045 entries has been received for the nearly 40 races between Thursday and Sunday at Kansas City’s WyandotteCountyPark. The complete event schedule is available at www.kccrossnationals.com. In addition to Trebon and Compton, 13 others are defending their national titles in their category:
- Junior Women 13-14: Elizabeth White (Bedford, N.H.)
- Junior Women 15-16: Coryn Rivera (Tustin, Calif.)
- Junior Women 17-18: Danielle Haulman (Denver, Colo.)
- Under 23 Female: Amy Dombroski (Boulder, Colo.
- Masters Men 35-39: Richard Feldman (Ketchum, Idaho)
- Masters Men 45-49: Steve Tilford (Topeka, Kan.)
- Masters Men 50-54: Ned Overend (Durango, Colo.)
- Masters Men 55-59: Fred Wittwer (Charlottesville, Va.) Masters Men 65-69: Rob Lea (Taneytown, Md.)
- Masters Women 40-44: Sami Fournier (Bend, Ore.)
- Masters Women 45-49: Catherine Walberg (Topeka, Kan.)
- Masters Women 50-54: Kathy Sarvary (Lunenburg, Mass.)
- Masters Women 60-64: Julie Lockhart (Dunstable, Mass.)
Tilford and Walberg are two “local” favorites who will be racing on what can be considered their “home turf.” Tilford, 47, is a four-time cyclocross national champion who won the 2007 Oklahoma State Cyclocross Championship race Sunday. Walberg, 44, is a four-time Kansas State Cyclocross champion. Several 2006 champions have moved up in category since last year:
- Junior Women 10-12: Sarah Huang (Kenosha, Wisc.) to Junior Women 13-14
- Junior Men 10-12: Logan Owen (Bremerton, Wash.) to Junior Men 13-14
- Junior Men 13-14: Yannick Eckmann (Boulder, Colo.) to Junior Men 15-16
- Junior Men 15-16: Luke Keough (Sandwich, Mass.) to Junior Men 17-18
- Elite Junior Men: Danny Summerhill (Centennial, Colo.) to Under 23 Men
- Under 23 Men: Jesse Anthony (Beverly, Mass.) to Men’s Elite
- Masters Men 40-44: Mark Noble (Oxnard, Calif.) to Masters Men 45-49
Daily race results, a comprehensive press release and photos for publication will be available at the official website, www.kccrossnationals.com, as well as www.usacycling.org and www.kccrossnationals.blogspot.com.