Cyclist loses leg in alleged road rage attack

Rider's leg amputated after cab reverses over him

Toronto by night

A cyclist in Toronto has had to have his leg amputated after a row with a cab driver allegedly turned nasty.


Police yesterday said the cyclist lost his leg after a cab reversed and pinned him to a utility pole.

It’s understood people heard arguing before the sound of a loud collision and then someone screaming for help as a vehicle sped off.

Police who rushed to the scene at 2.30am found the man lying in a pool of blood, with his right leg barely attached. His $5,000 cycle was lying nearby in pieces.

The 36-year-old later had to have the leg amputated at a city hospital.

Toronto police Detective Constable Paul Strangways told local paper The Star the cyclist had “a very long road to recovery.”

Strangways said. “He’s still getting treatment for a fractured pelvis and eventually will have to learn to deal with a prosthetic.”

The original call to police was followed three hours later by a call from a cab driver who said a cyclist had attempted to rob him at the scene.

However, after questioning the man for more than three hours, officers have since told local reporters that no robbery took place.

They linked a Beck taxi with damage to its rear trunk, bumper and tail light to the crash.

Police said in a news release that Sultan Ahmed, 38, of Maple has been charged with:

Criminal negligence causing bodily harm

Dangerous operation causing bodily harm

Fail to stop at scene of accident bodily harm

Obstruct peace officer

Aggravated assault

Assault with weapon

It is understood the alleged weapon described in the charge sheet is Ahmed’s taxi.

Sergeant Tim Burrows said told the Ottawa Citizen that Toronto police have charged motorists with using a vehicle as a weapon on previous occasions. “Common? Yes and no,” he said. “We had a very similar case in 1995. It’s not unheard of.”

The incident happened on November 14, but because the cyclist had to undergo three operations and was heavily sedated, it was some time before police could get a clear picture of what happened.


Ahmed was due to appear in court today.