Lausanne’s Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) said Thursday that it would make a judgement on the doping case involving Italian Danilo Di Luca in 10 days time.
Tour of Italy champion and former Pro Tour winner Di Luca served a three-month suspension for doping at the back end of last year. He had been implicated in the ‘Oil for drugs’ affair, accused of using the services of a tainted doctor Carlo Santuccione, who is suspected of supplying doping products to athletes. But Di Luca took his case to the highest appeal body in an attempt to clear his name.
Di Luca, who is due to take part in the prestigious Milan-San Remo classic on Saturday, appeared before the CAS in Milan on Thursday.
“Danilo had an exhausting meeting with the judicial commission,” said his LPR team manager Fabio Bordonali. “He is convinced that he has cleared himself of the suspicion of doping relating to the doctor Santuccione.”
In a separate case, the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) are also requesting a two-year ban against Di Luca for providing an abnormal doping test during last year’s Tour of Italy.
© AFP 2008