The first round of the Qashqai Urban Challenge freeride competition took place in Parco Sempione Milan at the weekend, and Norwegian Trond Hansen took the top podium spot ahead of Mischa Breitenstein and Sam Pilgrim.
The fifteen finalists ran in reverse order, ending with the top qualifier Martin Soederstrom from Sweden. The riders had to be strategic with their three runs in the finals when the wind picked up, as their two best scores were combined. Norway’s Trond Hansen and Switzerland’s Mischa Breitenstein judged the weather well, and earned their spots in the final challenge events.
In the first round of the finals, Trond pulled off a clean front flip over the final jump for a good first round score. In his next round he earned the highest score of the day as the first rider to pull a clean 360 over the first jump, straight into a one-footed 360 invert, followed by a tyre grab to set up for an opposite 360 over the last double.
The riders will be making the trip to the famous Bernabeu stadium in Madrid next week for another shot at qualifying for the final Nissan Qashqai Challenge Events.
- Trond Hansen SPECIALIZED NOR
- Mischa Breitenstein KONA EUROPE SUI
- Sam Pilgrim DIAMONDBACK BIKES GBR
- Darren Pokoj FELT AUS
- Kurtis Sorge GIANT BICYCLES CAN
- Adam Hauck BLACKMARKET USA
- Damjan Siriski AUTHOR CZE
- Geoff Gulevich ROCKY MOUNTAIN CAN
- Phil Sundbaum HARO, GRAVITY USA
- Hoppensack ADIDAS GER
- Mitchell Chubey NSMB.COM CAN
- Alex Reveles ADIDAS USA
- Linus Sjöholm SCOTT SWE
- Martin Söderström COLORBIKES SWE
- Andrew Taylor VERSUS CYCLES USA