Nearly 1,200 riders hit the trails in Mid Wales for the first round of the Merida Bikes MTB Marathon Series 2009 powered by Mountain Biking UK.
The race weekend opened with the Exposure Lights Big Night Out night marathon, where almost 240 riders made their way round a new course in the hills surrounding Builth Wells. Conditions were superb on the 50km route and the first rider crossed the finish line in 1hr 57min.
The following day, under glorious sunshine, almost 900 riders lined up to tackle one of the three new courses on offer in the marathon race. The most popular distance was the 68km ‘middle marathon’ which was completed in less than three hours by some riders.
For more information on the first round, go to the Merida Marathon website.
Other events in the Merida Bikes MTB Marathon Series 2009:
- 15-16 May: Crickhowell (mountain bike marathon on Sunday)
- 4-5 July: Llanwrtyd Wells (Gore Bike Wear Sportive on Saturday, mountain bike marathon on Sunday)
- 18 July: ‘Merida Marathon on holiday’, Bad Goisern, Austria
- 1-2 August: Selkirk (Gore Bike Wear Sportive on Saturday, mountain bike marathon on Sunday)
- 19-20 September: Ruthin (Gore Bike Wear Sportive on Saturday, mountain bike marathon on Sunday)
To find out more, go to the events page of the MTB Marathon site. Tto find out more about the Gore Bike Wear Road Sportive Series, visit the sportive site.
Merida mountain bike marathon race report 1: merida mountain bike marathon race report 1 mjw Marketing