BikeRadar have already shown you Robert Wade’s bespoke Swallow 953 bike from Swallow’s Shropshire premises. Next up we’ve got this intriguing tandem designed by Robert Wade and built by French frame builders Cyfac for Rob and his partner Gillian.
Landescape tandem frames were designed and introduced by Peter Bird in 2003. The original bikes were sourced from Taiwan and the frame design allowed customers to fit either 700c or 26” wheels with either V or disc brakes and came in three sizes.
Those three sizes were enough to accomodate for most people’s dimensions, but not everyone. This is why in 2009 Peter and Rob switched by making every Landescape made-to-measure individually for each customer. The carbon models are now made by Cyfac in France whilst aluminium versions shift manufacture to the Czech Republic.
Cyfac added additional material to the fork on this bike in order to provide the strength required to cope with full on downhill spec Hope M4 stoppers and matching 203mm rotors. The tandem also uses a Hope V-Twin brake system allowing the cockpit to use standard Campagnolo Record 10spd shifter.
Both Rob and Gillian couldn’t decide on which shade of blue to have on this frame. Luckily the paint shopt at Cyfac is flexible so the couple opted on a two tone finish with a different shade on each side – now that’s different!
This landescape carbon tandem was designed by robert wade and built by cyfac : this landescape carbon tandem was designed by robert wade and built by cyfac Oli Woodman/Future Publishing
Light on one side
Landescape carbon tandem on the flipside: landescape carbon tandem on the flipside Oli Woodman/Future Publishing
Darker on the other
- Transmission – Campagnolo Record 10spd shifters matched to Campagnolo Triple Comp derailleurs
- Chain-set – Middleburn tandem
- Bottom bracket – Royce Racing titanium – these where originally fitted to their Swallow tandem and are said to be good as ever despite over 12,000 miles use
- Brakes – Hope V-Twin hydraulic with M4 calipers with 203mm floating rotors
- Handlebars – Front – Deda Zero 100; Rear – Deda Zero 100 plus Synergy Stoke-a-Rests
- Handlebar stem – Front – Deda Zero 100; Rear – Synergy
- Saddles – Front – San Marco Mantra; Rear – Selle Italia Lady Gel-Flow
- Seatposts – Front – Hope; Rear – Cyfac carbon
- Handlebar tape – Bike Ribbon
- Wheels – Prototype Middleburn tandem hubs (adapted MTB parts)
- Rims – Ambrosio deep section track rims (32 hole) with DT Spokes
- Tyres – Continental GP4000 700x25c
- Bottle cages – Cyfac carbon
- Weight – 31lb/14kg