Former Premier Calendar winner Mark Lovatt showed he is still a force to be reckoned with when he took victory in the AA Brown Trophy race in Leicestershire on Sunday.
Lovatt, the Planet X rider who won the blue ribband of British Cycling in 2000 and 2003, showed a clean pair of heels to his rivals in a field packed full of elite riders who were using the event to get some last minute preparation for next weekend’s East Yorkshire Classic, which marks the resumption of the Premier Calendar after a four-week break.
Lovatt crossed the line 17 seconds clear of breakaway rival Rob Sharman (Sigma Sport RT), who held off Pearl Izumi’s Liam Holohan, while Red Kite Cycles rider Tim Wallace was edged out into fourth spot.
In the latest round of the National Junior Road Race Series in Buckinghamshire, David Nichols led a 1-2-3 for the Glendene Cycling Club at the end of the 71-mile event at Cublington, promoted by the Bath Road Club.
A first year junior, Nichols took victory by a few lengths from team-mate Joe Perrett, while Nathan Edmondson ensured a clean sweep of the podium with third spot, another second further back.
Fourth in the season-long series heading into the race, Nichols showed a clean pair of heels to his team-mates and the rest of a breakaway group to cross the line comfortably ahead.
The victory gives Nichols a good chance of claiming a top-three place in the overall standings if he can take his good form into the Junior Tour of Wales three-day stage race at the end of August, where extra points are up for grabs for stage wins as well as the overall victory.
With his team-mates working hard to hold back the attacks from the bunch, breakaway leader James Sampson (Kinesis UK) took victory in the CDNW League Road Race on the Smithfields circuit in Lancashire on Sunday.
Sampson attacked early in the 57-mile event, and after stayed clear for three laps until he was joined by rivals Andy Guy (Kuota Biemme) and Craig Battersby (Lancashire Road Club).
Many others tried to join the leading trio, but with Sampson’s team-mates Matt Cronshaw and Jack Pullar working hard to chase down anything that went he stayed clear and took the win from Guy, while Battersby settled for third, one second down.
Victory in the Halifax Road Club event in West Yorkshire went to Leeds-based rider Niah Pyne (Triangle RT), who edged out rival John Cann from the Barnesbury CC at the end of a tough 75-kilometre race.
Taking in 20 laps of the Rock and Heffer circuit at Thornton, near Bradford, the race was dominated by North East rider Graham Walker of the MTS Cyclesport team.
He had attacked on the third circuit, taking with him Malton Wheelers Gareth Taylor for company, but after five laps together Taylor dropped back while Walker continued his aggressive display of riding to battle onwards alone.
But with four laps remaining Lyne and Cann attacked off the front of the bunch and caught Walker, and as they headed for the line the MTS man had to settle for third, with Pyne and Cann using their fresher legs to secure first and second respectively.
AA Brown Trophy (Naseby, Leicestershire, 84 miles):
- Mark Lovatt (Planet X) 3-04-13
- Rob Sharman (Sigma Sport RT) at 17sec
- Liam Holohan (Pearl Izumi)
- Tim Wallace (Red Kite Cycles) all same time
Roy Chamberlain (Team Corley Cycles) at 26sec
- Raphael Deinhart (Pearl Izumi) at 1-39
- Richard Meadows (Pezula Racing) at 1-43
- James Williamson (Sigma Sport RT) at 1-47
- Matthew James (Webster Cycles) at 2-25
- Steve Adams (Pearl Izumi) same time
Bath Road Club (National Junior Road Race Series, Buckinghamshire, 71 miles):
- David Nichols (Glendene CC) 2hr 50min 50sec
- Joe Perrett (Glendene CC) at 2sec
- Nathan Edmondson (Glendene CC) at 3sec
- Richard Handley (Maxgear RT) at 14sec
- Dexter Gardias (Torq Colnago) at 18sec
- Chris Legg (AW Cycles) at 1min 6sec
- Jason White (Bikinmotion CC) at 1min 27sec
- John Mould (Cardiff Ajax)
- Russell Falder (Mammoth Lifestyle)
- Tom Walker (Torq Colnago) all same time
CDNW Road Race League (Smithfields, Lancashire, 57 miles):
- James Sampson (Kinesis UK) 2-17-34
- Andy Guy (Kuota Biemme) same time
- Craig Battersby (Lancashire RC) at 1sec
- Jack Pullar (Kinesis UK) at 1-28
- Ashley Finn (Lune RCC)
- James Moss (MTS Cyclesport)
- Mike Rudling (SP Systems-Wightlink)
- Adrian Lawrence (Lancashire RC) all same time
- Jimmy Froggatt (Wills Wheels) at 1-42
- Simon Baxter (MTS Cyclesport) at 1-55
Club (Thornton, West Yorkshire, 75km):
- Niah Pyne (Triangle RT) 1hr 58min 12sec
- John Cann (Barnesbury CC) same time
- Graham Walker (MTS Cyclesport) at 5sec
- Steven Booth (Banbury Star Wheelers) at 25sec
- David Lowe (Tunstall Wheelers)
- Chris Young (JD Cycles)
- Elliott Teal (Crosstrax)
- Paul Summers (Crosstrax
- Ivan Boyes (Huddersfield Star Wheelers)
- Nick Rylance (Wakefield CC) all same time