USA Cycling Tuesday announced today 21 of their 24 nominees to the 2008 US Olympic Team, including all 16 men headed to Beijing.
A dozen of those selected to compete in road cycling, track cycling, mountain biking and bicycle motocross (BMX) earned automatic nominations under USA Cycling’s Olympic selection procedures. Nine more were chosen by a selection committee.
Levi Leipheimer, third overall in the 2007 Tour de France, was the only man to earn automatic nomination in road cycling. He’ll be joined in the mass start road race by George Hincapie, Jason McCartney, Christian Vande Velde and David Zabriskie.
Hincapie becomes the only five-time Olympic cyclist in US history. Leipheimer and Zabriskie were also selected to compete in the time trial.
Kristin Armstrong earned automatic selection for the women’s road team in both the mass start race and time trial.
The track cycling team will include Michael Blatchford, Bobby Lea, Taylor Phinney, Adam Duvendeck, Giddeon Massieon, Michael Friedman the men’s side and women Sarah Hammer and Jennie Reed.
In BMX, which will make its Olympic debut in Beijing, the four-person US team will include Kyle Bennett, current world No. 1 Donny Robinson, Mike Day and Jill Kintner.
Todd Wells and Adam Craig were selected for men’s mountain biking, with Georgia Gould making the women’s team.
The last three committee selections, which include two women’s road racers and one woman mountain biker, will be announced by July 15.
“The cycling team that will represent the United States in August is shaping up to be one of the strongest ones we’ve had in recent history,” said USA Cycling Director of Athletics and Team Leader for the Beijing squad, Pat McDonough. “Based on the enormous strides taken by our athletic programs since the last Games and a consistent record of medal-winning performances at various world championships and World Cups by our athletes, I’m confident American cyclists can claim medal potential across all four Olympic disciplines of competitive cycling in Beijing.”
USA Cycling Nominees – Summer Olympics
Beijing, China August 8-24
1. George Hincapie, 35 (Greenville, S.C.) Road Race
2. Levi Leipheimer, 34 (Santa Rosa, Calif.) Road Race, Time Trial
3. Jason McCartney, 34 (Coralville, Iowa) Road Race
4. Christian Vande Velde, 32 (Boulder, Colo.) Road Race
5. David Zabriskie, 29 (Salt Lake City, Utah) Road Race, Time Trial
1. Kristin Armstrong, 34 (Boise, Idaho) Road Race, Time Trial
1. Michael Blatchford, 22 (Cypress, Calif.) Team Sprint, Match Sprint
2. Adam Duvendeck, 26 (Santa Barbara, Calif.) Team Sprint
3. Michael Friedman, 25 (Pittsburgh, Pa.) Madison
4. Bobby Lea, 24 (Mertztown, Pa.) Points Race, Madison
5. Giddeon Massie, 26 (Zionhill, Pa.) Team Sprint
6. Taylor Phinney, 18 (Boulder, Colo.) Individual Pursuit
*The United States also has one start position in the men’s Keirin. The athlete who will contest the Keirin will be announced at a later date.
1. Sarah Hammer, 24 (Temecula, Calif.) Individual Pursuit
2. Jennie Reed, 30 (Kirkland, Wash.) Match Sprint
*The United States also has one start position in the women’s Points Race. The athlete who will contest the Points Race will be announced at a later date.
Men’s Mountain Bike
1. Adam Craig, 26 (Bend, Ore.)
2. Todd Wells, 32 (Durango, Colo.)
Women’s Mountain Bike
1. Georgia Gould, 28 (Ketchum, Idaho)