George Hincapie is racing a record-setting 17th Tour de France this year. To celebrate, BMC company owner Andy Rihs presented the affable veteran with a custom-finished BMC TeamMachine SLR01 celebrating not only a milestone in racing history but Hincapie's birthday, too.
Hincapie's machine isn't special for any of its equipment. In fact, it's a stock BMC TeamMachine SLR01 frameset with a standard team-issue build kit, including the Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 transmission, SRM crankset, Easton EC90 Aero wheels, Continental tubular tires, Shimano pedals, Easton cockpit, and fi'zi:k saddle. The only notable difference from a standard consumer frame is the stainless steel rear derailleur hanger that the team uses for better shift performance and improved durability in a crash.
The rear of the bike is even equipped with the team's usual carbon fiber number plate holder, but Hincapie said he has no intention of actually racing it. It's simply too special a possession and one that he would prefer to display in the safety of his own home.
The finish is highly personalized with a gold-on-black paint job, several small '17' decals with Eiffel Tower outlines, and a number of phrases and icons referencing Hincapie's well-known demeanor: "Big George's SLR01", "gentleman's round", and a small hat on the down tube.
The fit reflects Hincapie's usual race setup and the bike is still admirably light at 7.32kg (16.14lb) as shown here.
George Hincapie is riding his 17th Tour de France - a Tour record
Complete bike specification:
- Frame: BMC TeamMachine SLR01 'Gentleman's Round', 57cm
- Fork: BMC TeamMachine SLR01 'Gentleman's Round'
- Headset: Easton EA70, 130mm x -10°
- Stem: Bontrager Race XXX Lite, 140 x -7°
- Handlebar: Easton EA70, 44cm
- Bar tape: Fizik
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-7900 w/carbon-specific pads, grey compound
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-7900 w/carbon-specific pads, grey compound
- Brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-7970
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 FD-7970
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 RD-7970
- Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-7970
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-7900, 11-25T
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-7900
- Crankset: SRM PowerMeter Dura-Ace 7950 Compatible, 175mm, 53/39T
- Bottom bracket: Shimano Dura-Ace press-fit SM-FC7900P
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace SPD-SL PD-7900
- Wheelset: Easton EC90 Aero tubular
- Front tire: Continental tubular
- Rear tire: Continental tubular
- Saddle: Fizik Aliante Carbon
- Seatpost: BMC Racepost Carbon
- Bottle cages: Elite Sior Evo (2)
- Computer: SRM PowerControl 7
- Other accessories: Nokon cables and housing
- Rider's height: 6ft 3in (1.90m)
- Rider's weight: 77kg (169lb)
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 810mm
- Saddle setback: 98mm
- Seat tube length, c-c: 545mm
- Tip of saddle to center of bar: 621mm
- Head tube length: 188mm
- Top tube length: 575mm
- Total bike weight: 7.32kg (16.14lb)