This article first appeared on Cyclingnews.
Damiano Cunego (Nippo-Vini Fantini-Europa Ovini) raced his final WorldTour race at the Tour de Suisse in June, before rounding out his extensive career at the Adriatica Ionica Race and the Italian national road race championships a few weeks later.
The 36-year-old won the 2004 Giro d'Italia, Amstel Gold in 2008, three Il Lombardia titles, and multiple stages at the Vuelta a España and Giro, among other victories.
After three years with Saeco at the beginning of his career, Cunego spent 10 seasons with Lampre before joining Nippo-Vini Fantini for his final four seasons as a professional.
For the Tour de Suisse, Cunego raced aboard a De Rosa Protos equipped with a mechanical Campagnolo Super Record groupset. As well as providing the drivetrain, braking and controls for Cunego, Campagnolo also provides the Pro Continental team with Campagnolo Shamal Ultra aluminium tubular wheels.
Having raced on fluoro-orange De Rosa framesets earlier in his time with Nippo-Vini Fantini, Cunego raced on a bare carbon-finished De Rosa for his final WorldTour race, with white De Rosa decals and a team colour-coordinated model name on the seat tube.
FSA provided the cockpit components for Cunego's bike, with the Italian opting for an alloy FSA SL-K stem and carbon FSA K-Force Light handlebars measuring 140mm and 380mm, respectively.
IRC tyres have long-sponsored the Nippo-Vini Fantini outfit and the team were in the minority at the Tour de Suisse by racing with tubeless, as opposed to tubular, tyres.
Interestingly, Cunego also opted to race without a power meter, as he had done for much of his career.
Click or swipe through the gallery above for a closer look at the final race bike used by 'The Little Prince'
- Frameset: De Rosa Protos
- Front brake: Campagnolo Super Record
- Rear brake: Campagnolo Super Record
- Brake/shift levers: Campagnolo Super Record
- Front derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record
- Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record
- Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record, 11-29
- Crankset: Campagnolo Super Record, 53/39
- Wheelset: Campagnolo Shamal Ultra, tubeless
- Tyres: IRC Formula Pro Tubeless, 28mm
- Handlebars: FSA K-Force Light Carbon, 380mm
- Stem: FSA SL-K alloy, 140mm
- Tape/grips: De Rosa
- Pedals: Look Keo Blade Carbon
- Saddle: Fizik Arione (unbranded)
- Seatpost: De Rosa Protos
- Bottle: Elite Custom Race Plus
- Other accessories: Sportek out-front computer mount
- Rider height: 1.69m
- Seat height from bottom bracket (c-t): 670mm
- Saddle nose to handlebars (at stem): 540mm