Colombian climber extraordinaire Esteban Chaves turned 27 years old just ahead of the start of the Tour Down Under and while he didn’t go out and have a huge night on the town he did ride into second place on the General Classification.
- Shimano Dura-Ace power meter spotted amid groupset delays
- Gallery: Caleb Ewan's Scott Foil
- Gallery: Richie Porte’s BMC Teammachine SLR01
- Tour Down Under 2017 news and bike galleries
His team issue Scott Foil RC, like team sprinter Caleb Ewan was quite small with Chaves riding a size XS frame. The mechanics at the Orica-Scott camp were hard at work trying to get the team's bikes ready to race, but unfortunately the wrong size Syncros one-piece bar and stem were delivered to the local service course. In light of this, Chaves used a set of alloy 40mm Syncros RR1.5 bars and a 110mm Syncros Foil stem. Interestingly Chaves’ bike saw spring shifters mounted to the front of the drops rather than the inside.
Due to some delays with deliveries of the new Shimano 9170, Chaves ran an old DA 9070 transmission. When it comes to gearing the Colombian rider, like the majority of the peloton at the Tour Down Under, was running 53-39T chainrings up front and a 11-28T cassette at the back. Chaves also used a SRM power meter with 170mm cranks and PC8 headunit.
While not necessarily known for its saddles, the whole Orica-Scott team was using Syncros seats, with Chaves on the RR1.0 carbon saddle.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Scott Foil RC Size, XS/49cm
- Fork: Foil HMX
- Stem: Syncros Foil, 110mm
- Handlebar: Syncros RR1.5 400mm
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-R9110 cirect mount
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace 9110 rear super SLR dual pivot direct mount
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070 Di2
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070 Di2
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace, 11-28T
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace 11-speed
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace, SRM 170mm, 53/39T
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Wheelset: Shimano Dura-Ace C-35
- Tyres: Continental Competition tubular, 25mm
- Saddle: Syncros RR1.0
- Seatpost: Syncros Foil Aero carbon
- Bottle cages: EliteLeggeroo
- Rider's height: 1.64m
- Rider's weight: 55kg
- Saddle height from bottom bracket: 675mm
- Centre of saddle to centre of bar: 650mm