Caleb Ewan may be a new name to many, but he won't be for long. The 19 year-old sprinter from the Southern Highlands of Sydney has been making waves in Australia with his dominant results. Just over a week ago, Ewan won both the U23 Criterium and Road Race at the Australian National Championships, prior to that he won two stages at Tour de L'avenir and was junior world champion on the track.
If there were any doubts of Ewan's talents, they were silenced at the 2014 Santos Tour Down Under People's Choice Criterium, where Ewan finished third behind sprint legends Kittel and Griepel. Ewan signed with Orica-GreenEdge in October, with his contract officially starting 2015, but he's already well acquainted with the team bike.
As far as sprinters go, Ewan at just 168cm (5ft 6in) makes his competitors seem like giants. It's not uncommon to see sprinters choose a bike smaller than their height would suggest, but Ewan's XXS frame size is respectively tiny.
Much like Orica-GreenEdge's other sprinters, Ewan chooses the Scott Foil for its wind cutting design with what Scott call ‘F01 technology'. The claim is that the tube shapes achieves the same aerodynamic advantages of traditional foil shaped tubes, while allowing for a lighter and stiffer frameset.
As we're seeing with many other riders, Ewan takes advantage of the multiple shift points offered with electronic shifting with SW-7972 sprint shifters for gear access during sprints.
As a lighter rider, Ewan's wheels aren't as deep as his rivals. Choosing to use the 35mm deep Dura-ace C35 wheels, in the older (and claimed less-aero) 7900 design. Keeping the wheels buoyant are Vittoria Corsa Evo CX 23c tubular tyres.
The top of Ewan's handlebar is bulky and provides plenty of resting room, combining the oversized aluminium PRO 7S handlebar with a thickly padded Prologo Onetouch tape.
Providing data to his SRM Powercontrol 7 computer is an older Dura-ace 7900 SRM crank with an expected 170mm arm length.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Scott Foil Team Issue 2013, XXS frame size
- Fork: FOIL HMX
- Headset: Ritchey WCS Drop-in tapered
- Stem: PRO Vibe carbon, 140mm length, -10 degree
- Handlebar: PRO Vibe 7S Round, 40cm width (c-c)
- Tape: Prologo Onetouch Gel
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 w/ Shimano carbon-specific pads
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 w/ Shimano carbon-specific pads
- Brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-7970
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 FD-7970
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 RD-7970
- Shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-7970 + SW-7972 Sprint shifter
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-7900, 11-25T
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-7901
- Crankset: SRM Wireless PowerMeter DuraAce 7800, 170mm, 53/39T
- Bottom bracket: Shimano Press-fit
- Pedals: Shimano 9000 Dura-ace
- Wheelset: Shimano Dura-ace 7900 C35 Tubular
- Front tire: Vittoria Corsa Evo CX Tubular 23mm
- Rear tire: Vittoria Corsa Evo CX Tubular 23mm
- Saddle: Prologo Nago Evo CPC
- Seatpost: Scott Foil carbon
- Bottle cages: Elite Custom Race
- Computer: SRM PowerControl 7 (not pictured or weighed)
- Rider's height: 1.65m (5ft 5in)
- Rider's weight: 63kg (138.6lb)
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 645mm
- Saddle setback: 24mm
- Seat tube length (c-t): 422mm
- Seat tube length (c-c): 410mm
- Tip of saddle to center of bar: 520mm
- Saddle-to-bar drop: 51mm
- Head tube length: 100mm
- Top tube length (effective): 510mm
- Total bicycle weight: 7.13kg (15.69lb) (without computer)