Having won the Women’s Road World Championships in 2010 and 2011, Italian professional cyclist Giorgia Bronzini is rightly considered one of the world’s best.
For 2015, Bronzini will continue to ride for the Wiggle Honda Pro Cycling team. We got a close look at her team bike following a stage win at the Santos Women’s Tour in Adelaide, Australia.
Giorgia Bronzini (left of screen) racing the Santos Women's Tour
For 2015, Colnago is without a team in the WorldTour and so much like Cervelo, women’s racing and pro-continental teams are given the iconic brand's sponsorship dollars.
Colnago, Campagnolo, Ferrari, Deda – this is one very patriotic ride for the Italian
Based on cost alone, Bronzini’s very-Italian ride rivals even the very best men’s WorldTour bikes for the ‘best bike’ crown. With Ferrari’s Cavallino Rampante (Prancing Horse) logo on the frame’s top tube, this is one ride we suspect Bronzini is very proud to own.
The build starts with Colnago’s recently released V1-r aero-road frame. This frame was a collaboration with Ferrari and sits as the brand’s highest performance and perhaps most aggressive frame.
The V1-r uses a monocoque construction in order to achieve the Kamm-type aerodynamic tube shapes and comparably low weight. This is a big change from Colnago’s lugged carbon designs that traditionally sit as the top-end frames.
Much like the frame tubes, the dedicated seatpost also has a flat-back, to improve aerodynamics. Its slender diameter is said to retain compliance.
Colnago's Direct-mount brakes offer an alternative to Shimano-branded options
The direct-mount brakes are a first for Colnago, and further aid aerodynamic performance. The rear caliper is hidden beneath the chainstays. While Shimano Direct-mount brakes will fit the frame, it’s not a suitable match for an otherwise Campagnolo build, so Colnago offers its own-branded brake, which is made by The Hive – as seen here.
One unique aspect of this frame is seen at the bottom bracket – Colnago has created its own ‘ThreadFit 82.5 system’ as a durable, replaceable and creak-free interface for Shimano’s PF86 compatible bottom brackets.
Entering at a near square angle to the head tube, the internal cable ports allow for extremely neat and low-profile cable housing from the handlebar.
Campagnolo Super Record EPS is arguably the most prestigious groupset on the market
It wouldn’t be a proper Italian bike without Campagnolo components, and the 11-speed Super Record EPS groupset with internal battery is something few can dream of owning. The EPS battery is placed just in front of the bottom bracket inside the down tube.
Matched to this is an SRM Campagnolo 11-speed power meter crank.
Furthering the Italian theme, the build is completed with Deda Zero100 handlebar and stem, while the saddle and bartape are from fi'zi:k. Even with electronic gearing, SRM crank and 50mm deep wheels mounted, Bronzini’s seemingly tiny 42cm impressively weighs less than 7kg.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Colnago V1-r – size 42cm
- Fork: Colnago V1-r, 1 1/8in to 1 1/4in tapered
- Headset: Colnago tapered sealed
- Stem: Deda Zero100, 110mm x -8 degrees
- Handlebar: Deda Zero100, 40cm (c-c)
- Tape: fi'zi:k Superlight Soft Touch
- Front brake: Colnago Direct-Mount
- Rear brake: Colnago Direct-Mount
- Brake levers: Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11
- Front derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11
- Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11
- Shift levers: Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11
- Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record 11, 11-27T
- Chain: Campagnolo Record 11
- Crankset: SRM Campagnolo 11-speed, 170mm, 53/39T
- Bottom bracket: Campagnolo BB86 Adaptor cups
- Pedals: Look Keo Blade 2 Ti
- Wheelset: Campagnolo Bora Ultra Two
- Front tyre: Vittoria Corsa CX tubular, 23mm
- Rear tyre: Vittoria Corsa CX tubular, 23mm
- Saddle: fi'zi:k Airone CX Carbon
- Seatpost: Colnago V1-r carbon
- Bottle cages: Tacx Uma Carbon (1)
- Computer: SRM Power Control 7
- Rider's height: 1.61m (5ft 3in)
- Rider's weight: 54kg (119lb)
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 644mm
- Saddle setback: 35mm
- Tip of saddle to centre of bar: 476mm
- Saddle-to-bar drop: 50mm
- Head tube length: 124mm
- Top tube length (effective): 504mm
- Total bicycle weight: 6.99kg (15.34lb), excluding SRM computer