World Champion Rui Costa is riding out with Lampre-Merida in 2014, and his Reacto Evo has been suitably decked out in the rainbow stripes to celebrate.
Lampre-Merida has opted to use the aerodynamically oriented Reacto Evo rather than the lighter Scultura SL in 2014 as the principal team bike; team management believe slipperiness trumps lighter weight as a competitive advantage in the majority of road races.
Video: Rui Costa's Merida Reacto Evo
The tubes are a truncated aerofoil shape and are borrowed from Merida's Warp TT frame and the fork blades are spaced wide apart to stop dirty air turbulence interfering with the wheel. The rear brake is mounted on the underside of the bottom bracket shell (it takes a BB386 evo).
The front brake is Shimano's well-regarded dual mount Dura-Ace option which is finding plenty of favour on high end road bikes. The seatstay cluster has been moved low down the seat tube to reduce frontal area.
Costa's bike is finished with an FSA cockpit with Prologo tape
The Italian squad are Shimano-sponsored, so it's no surprise to see Dura-Ace Di2 gear shifting as standard. Chainrings and crank set are slightly more exotic units from Rotor who also collect power data for the 27-year-old Portuguese World Champion.
Rainbow stripes bedeck the frame's muscular seat tube
The wheelset is an aerodynamically complementary set of Fulcrum Racing Speed XLR.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Merida Reacto Evo World Champion. M/L with custom geometry
- Fork: Merida Reacto
- Headset: FSA
- Stem: FSA OS115 130mm
- Handlebars: FSA Compact 42cm
- Tape/grips: Prologo
- Frontbrake: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-9000 direct mount
- Rearbrake: Shimano Dura Ace BR-9000 direct mount
- Brakelevers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 ST-9070
- Frontderailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace FD-9070
- Rearderailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace RD-9070
- Shiftlevers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 ST-9070
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-9000
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CH-9000
- Crankset: Rotor Q-Rings
- Bottombracket: Rotor
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Wheelset: Fulcrum Racing Speed XLR
- Fronttyre: Continental Competition
- Reartyre: Continental Competition
- Saddle: Prologo Nago Evo CPC
- Seatpost: Merida Reacto S-Flex
- Bottlecages: Elite
- Computer: Garmin
- Rider's height: 183cm (6ft 0in)
- Rider's weight: 63kg (138lb)
- Saddle height from BB (c-t): 762mm
- Saddle setback: 53mm
- Tip of saddle nose to centre of bars: 556mm