The king of Willunga Hill is back, with Richie Porte defending his win on the iconic climb in the fifth stage of the 2018 Tour Down Under. With fellow Aussie Nathan Haas noting that Porte was ‘back to his birth weight’ ahead of the first stage, the climber has bagged his first win of the season.
- Top 5 2018 pro bikes
- New year, new gear — pros don the latest kit at the first WorldTour race of the season
- Tour Down Under 2018 news and bike galleries
Riding for BMC once again in 2018, Porte is on the newly updated BMC Teammachine SLR01 on a size 47 frame.
As BMC is one of Shimano’s officially sponsored teams, Porte is riding a full Dura-Ace R9150 Di2 Drivetrain including the new Shimano power meter. Given Port’s climbing prowess, it's not surprising to see him with 53/39T chainrings at the front, and an 11-30T cassette at the back for max revs when the road points up.
Keeping track of his stats at the front is Garmin’s new Edge 1030 on a nifty computer mount, which is integrated into the 120mm BMC stem.
The Aussie climber is riding 380mm 3T Ernova Stealth carbon bars, which are finished in 3T bar tape. Meanwhile, at the back, Porte is on the updated Fizik Arione Open.
Rolling on the latest Dura-Ace C40 carbon hoops, the mechanics have glued on a set of 25c Vittoria Corsa tubs.
BMC Teammachine SLR01 specifications
- Frame: BMC Teammachine SLR01
- Fork: BMC Teammachine SLR01
- Stem: BMC RSM01, w/ computer and camera mount
- Handlebar: 3T Ernova Stealth, 380mm
- Tape: 3T Corius Bar tape
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Brake/shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace 11-30T
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100-P
- Wheelset: Shimano Dura-Ace C40
- Tyres: Vittoria Corsa tubular 25mm
- Saddle: Fizik Arione Open
- Seatpost: BMC Teammachine SLR01
- Bottle cages: Elite Custom Race
- Rider’s weight: 62kg
- Rider’s height: 1.72m
- Saddle height, from bottom bracket (c-t): 680mm
- Seat tube length: 420mm
- Tip of saddle nose to centre of handlebars: 505mm
- Head tube length: 113mm
- Top tube length: 517mm
- Total bike weight: 7.14kg
Click or swipe through the gallery above for a detailed look at Richie Porte’s race bike.