Movistar Team switched from its long-running team colours of navy and green to a lighter blue and white team kit design for the 2018 season.
Alongside the frameset, LizardSkins provided Movistar with matching handlebar tape, Campagnolo offered special blue wheel decals and Power2Max also provided the team with colour-coordinated power meter hardware on the cranksets.
For the opening, flatter stages of the 2018 Tour de France, Alejandro Valverde ran 54/42 Campagnolo Super Record chainrings in conjunction with the full Campagnolo Super Record EPS groupset, with the Italian company also providing the team with Bora Ultra carbon wheels.
As with the commercial bikes and framesets, Canyon supplies its sponsored teams with the majority of the finishing kit. Valverde opted for the German company’s CP10 integrated handlebar/stem aerodynamic cockpit system as opposed to a traditional handlebar and stem combination.
Valverde also looked to be following a pro-level trend of sliding the saddle further forward on the seatpost rails. Although, interestingly, the Spaniard’s bike is fitted with a setback seatpost from Canyon, which resulted in the seat rails being fixed beyond the recommended safety limits and resulted in a strange aesthetic.
However, Canyon does offer a different seatpost model with an in-line setup and it is unclear why Valverde opted for this extreme set up.
Click or swipe through the gallery above for a closer look at Alejandro Valverde’s Canyon Ultimate CF SLX for the 2018 Tour de France.
- Frameset: Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
- Front brake: Campagnolo Super Record
- Rear brake: Campagnolo Super Record
- Brake/shift levers: Campagnolo Super Record EPS
- Front derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record EPS
- Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record EPS
- Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record
- Chain: Campagnolo Record 11-speed
- Crankset: Power2Max Campagnolo Super Record, 54/42 chainrings
- Wheelset: Campagnolo Bora Ultra 50 with custom decals for Movistar Team
- Tyres: Continental Competition ALX, 25mm tubular
- Handlebars/stem: Canyon CP10
- Tape/grips: LizardSkins
- Pedals: Look Keo Classic
- Saddle: Fizik Antares
- Seatpost: Canyon S13 VCLS
- Bottle cages: Elite Vico Carbon
- Computer: Garmin Edge 1030