Riding for the new Bahrain Merida squad Yukiya Arashiro started his 2017 racing season in Australia at the Tour Down Under.
- Tour Down Under 2017 news and bike galleries
- Gallery: Damien Howson’s Scott Foil RC
- Luke Rowe's 5 tips for riding in the heat
- 10 clever hacks used by World Tour race mechanics
Following a crash at the 2016 Tour of Qatar, which resulted in a broken femur, he managed to get back on the bike in time for the Tour of Japan in June where he took a stage win before going on to race both the Tour de France and the Vuelta a España.
While the Japanese rider is no longer riding in the pink and blue this year, his Merida Reacto frame is largely unchanged bar the paint job.
He is still riding the same Dura-Ace 9070 Di2 drivetrain as last year, although he did manage to score a 9100 front brake.
Arashiro’s got a new power meter, which is the latest SRM with carbon cranks that appear to be a collaboration with German carbon specialist THM — each crank arm is said to weigh just 99g.
The whole Bahrain Merida squad also received custom gold anodised SRM PC-8 headunits.
The finishing kit on Arashiro’s Reacto comes from FSA, while the seating arrangements and bar tape come from Prologo with the Nago EVO CPC saddle and One Touch bar tape.
Interestingly Arashiro’s saddle is pushed all the way forward on the rails, even though the saddle clamp on the Reacto Carbon Race seatpost can be flipped to offer a set back or set forward position.
The seatpost also has a distinctive cutout, called S-Flex, that’s filled with a rubber bumper and is said to allow a bit of flex.
Rolling stock is provided by Fulcrum and the Speed 40 tubulars are finished with 25c Continental Competition tyres.
Spinning on carbon hubs, the Speed 40s are complete with Campy/Fulcrum's ultra smooth CULT ceramic bearings.
Merida Scultura full specifications
- Frame: Merida Scultura, size 52
- Fork: Merida Road Carbon Race
- Stem: FSA OS 99, 120mm +/- 6-degree
- Handlebar: Vision Trimax 4D handlebars, 420mm
- Tape: Prologo OneTouch
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace 9100
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Brake/shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070 Di2
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace, 11-28T
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace 11-speed
- Crankset: SRM, 172.5mm
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Wheelset: Fulcrum Speed 40 tubular
- Tyres: Continental Competition tubular, 25mm
- Saddle: Prologo Nago EVO CPC
- Seatpost: Merida Reacto Carbon Race
- Bottle cages: Elite Custom Race
- Rider's height: 1.70m / 5ft 6in
- Rider's weight: 64kg / 141lbs
- Saddle height from bottom bracket: 690mm
- Centre of saddle to centre of bar: 720mm
Click or swipe through the gallery above to see more of Arishiro’s bike.