The Secret Race, Tyler Hamilton's dark recollection of his time on the US Postal team, is one of two cycling books nominated for the prestigious William Hill Sports Book of the Year award.
The book, written with cycling journalist Daniel Coyle, joins Victoria Pendleton's autobiography Between the Lines on a longlist of 14. Others to make the list include Richard Moore's The Dirtiest Race in History, his account of the 1988 Olympic 100m final, and Chrissie Wellington's autobiography A Life Without Limits - A Champion's Journey.
Previous winners from the cycling world include Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage in 1990 and Lance Armstrong's It's Not About the Bike in 2000.
The shortlist is scheduled to be announced on 26 October with the winner announced at a lunchtime reception at Waterstones Piccadilly in London on Monday 26 November.
As well as a £24,000 cash prize, the winning author will receive a £2,000 William Hill bet, a specially-commissioned hand-bound copy of their book and a day at the races.
2012 William Hill Sports Book of the Year longlist
- That Near-Death Thing – Inside the TT: The World’s Most Dangerous Race by Rick Broadbent (Orion)
- Running with the Kenyans – Discovering The Secrets of the Fastest People on Earth by Adharanand Finn (Faber)
- Iron War – Dave Scott, Mark Allen & the Greatest Race Ever Run by Matt Fitzgerald (Quercus Press)
- The Footballer Who Could Fly by Duncan Hamilton (Century)
- The Secret Race – Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs by Tyler Hamilton and Daniel Coyle (Bantam Press)
- A Weight Off My Mind – My Autobiography by Richard Hughes, with Lee Mottershead (Racing Post)
- Be Careful What You Wish For by Simon Jordan (Yellow Jersey)
- Fibber in the Heat by Miles Jupp (Ebury Press)
- The Dirtiest Race in History – Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and the 1988 Olympic 100m Final by Richard Moore (Wisden Sports Writing)
- Between the Lines – The Autobiography by Victoria Pendleton, with Donald McRae (HarperSport)
- Swimming Studies by Leanne Shapton (Particular Books)
- A Life Without Limits – A World Champion’s Journey by Chrissie Wellington, with Michael Aylwin (Constable & Robinson)
- Jonny: My Autobiography by Jonny Wilkinson, with Owen Slot (Headline)
- Shot and a Ghost: A Year in the Brutal World of Professional Squash by James Willstrop (Rod Gilmour)