Pro bike: Kulhavy's Specialized S-Works Epic
By Ben Delaney | Thursday, September 13, 2012 11.04pm
Last week Specialized Racing gave one of its star riders a very special bike. Olympic cross-country champion Jaroslav Kulhavy was given a gold bike to match his gold medal.
“I’m really excited about it,” Kulhavy said. “At first the team gave me the new 2013 white frame, and I thought that was very exciting, and then they surprised me with the special gold one. It was amazing.”
Aside from paint scheme, Kulhavy’s S-Works Epic is quite similar to a stock bike.
And while you can’t buy the gold frame, there is a chance to buy the Olympic neon red version of the bike he raced to the win in London, as Specialized is planning limited edition runs of the S-Works Epic and the S-Works Tarmac SL4 that Alexander Vinokourov used to win the Olympic road race.
Kulhavy did not defend his 2011 world championship title last weekend, but there’s still that little Olympic metal for consolation.
Check out the gallery at right for the details on Kulhavy’s bike.
Complete bike specification
- Frame: Specialized S-Works Epic 29"
- Fork: Custom RockShox SID World Cup 29 Brain, inertia valve damper, Solo air spring, 80mm
- Suspension: Specialized/FOX remote Mini-Brain inertia-valve shock
- Headset: 1-1/8 and 1-1/2" threadless, Campy style upper with 1-1/2" lower, cartridge bearing
- Stem: Specialized S-Works CLP Multi Stem 120mm/-21°
- Handlebar: Specialized S-Works Prowess Carbon XC Flat
- Grip's: ESI Chunky
- Front brake: Avid XX WC 160mm
- Rear brake: Avid XX WC 140mm
- Front derailleur: none
- Rear derailleur: SRAM XX1
- Levers: SRAM XX1 Grip Shift
- Cassette: SRAM XX1 10/42T
- Chain: SRAM XX1
- Crankset: Specialized S-Works OS carbon 175mm with custom spider for SRAM XX One 36T
- Bottom bracket: Specialized OS press-in bearing
- Pedals: Look quartz carbon Ti
- Wheelset: Roval Control Carbon 29"
- Front tire: Specialized S-Works Fast Trak 2.00
- Rear tire: Specialized S-Works Fast Trak 2.00
- Saddle: Specialized Romin Pro 143
- Seatpost: Truvativ Stylo T40
- Total bicycle weight: 9.6kg/21.16lbs
- Rider's height: 187cm/6'2"
- Rider's weight: 75kg/165lbs
You can follow BikeRadar on Twitter at twitter.com/bikeradar and on
Facebook at facebook.com/BikeRadar.
can also improve your fitness and train with us on training.bikeradar.com.