Katrin Leumann, who's represented Switzerland in two Olympic Games, is one of those riders who’s always in the mix, and has a fun, approachable and easy-going nature off the bike, yet still manages to fly under the media radar.
Previously a preschool teacher, Leumann turned full-time professional cyclist in 2012, leading to her 2013 Swiss National titles in both cross country and cyclo-cross. Currently ranked 14th in the 2014 cross country World Cup rankings, Leumann is just eight points shy of Julie Bresset, the current World Champion.
As a Ghost Factory Racing rider, Leumann has mostly German sponsors that resemble a 'weightweenies.com' dream spec list, as evidenced by her 7.9kg (17.38lb) total bike weight. This is nearly a full kilogram lighter than fellow Swiss rider Jolanda Neff’s Giant/Liv Obsess, despite the larger frame and 29in wheel size.
At the heart of Leumann’s bike is a Ghost Lector HTX 29er frame; this high-modulus carbon 29er chassis has a superlight listed weight of just 940g. Flexible seatstays claim to help ride comfort, further aided by a slim 27.2mm seatpost. Obviously all the latest features are present and correct, including a tapered head tube, chainstay mounted post-mount brake and internal cable routing.
One sponsor of the team, AX Lightness, is a Formula 1 component manufacturer; it offers a range of appropriately drool-worthy cycling components. Most of these German AX Lightness and Tune parts are built for the serious racer only, with rider weight limits listed between 85 and 100kg for each one.
AX Lightness SRC CC 29” Clincher rims are claimed to weigh just 325g apiece. Fancy of pair of these wheels? That’ll be €2,799
The carbon wheels with bright blue hubs are what first caught our attention. Using a 325g AX Lightness tubeless-ready rim and Tune Prince/Princess Skyline hubs, we estimate these wheels to weigh about 1,240g for the 29er pair. Their quoted price – €2,799 – only underlines this wheelset's exclusivity.
Furthering the AX Lightness component theme is a €590, 75g stem; €269, 100g handlebar; €298, 130g seatpost; €298, 69g full-carbon saddle; and lastly a €69, 15g bottle cage. This would be one expensive bike to crash!
In addition to the hubs, Tune provides some very light titanium/carbon quick release skewers, a tapered headset and a barely-there seat clamp.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Ghost Lector HTX, size 19”
- Fork: RockShox SID XX World Cup, 100mm, quick release
- Headset: Tune Bubi Tapered
- Stem: AX Lightness Rigid, 100mm
- Handlebar: AX Lightness Hera, 645mm width
- Tape: ESI Racers Edge
- Front brake: SRAM XX, 160mm rotor
- Rear brake: SRAM XX, 160mm rotor
- Brake levers: SRAM XX
- Rear derailleur: SRAM XX1
- Shift levers: SRAM XX1, Gripshift
- Cassette: SRAM XX1, 10-42T
- Chain: SRAM XX1
- Crankset: SRAM XX1, 32T chainring, 175mm
- Bottom bracket: SRAM Press-fit
- Pedals: Crankbrothers Egg Beater 11
- Hubs: Tune Princess Skyline QR front, Prince rear QR
- Skewers: Tune DC16/17
- Rims: AX Lightness SRC CC 29” Clincher
- Front tyre: Schwalbe Racing Ralph, Evo, 2.1”, set up tubeless
- Rear tyre: Schwalbe Racing Ralph, Evo, 2.1”, set up tubeless
- Saddle: AX Lightness Sprint
- Seatpost: AX Lightness Europa, 27.2mm, straight
- Bottle cages: AX Lightness Nasdorowje
- Extras: Mio computer (not included in weight)
- Rider's height: 1.74m (5ft 7in)
- Rider's weight: 53kg (117lb)
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 730mm
- Seat tube length (c-t): 480mm
- Tip of saddle to midpoint of bar: 520mm
- Head tube length: 135mm
- Top tube length (effective): 605mm
- Total bicycle weight: 7.9kg (17.38lb)