Alexandre Vinokorouv came into the 2012 Olympic Men's Road Race with just a single teammate, Assan Bazayev. While no country had a 9-man squad, as in the Tour de France, there were nine squads with five a piece: Spain, Italy, Great Britain, the United States, Belgium, Australia, Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands. At the end of the day, all Vinokourov needed was a bike and the right moment.
Vinokourov rode an Olympic version of his Team Astana Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4. The only difference in the frame is the paint — neon red, as for all of Specialized’s Olympic riders — and the limited branding that Olympic rules dictate.
Similarly, the Corima wheels that Vino rode were a Carbon Viva S front and a Carbon Aero+ MCC rear, with decaling stripped down to a single logo on each side.
In addition to the number of logos, Olympic rules also specify exactly how tall each logo can be.
The Carbon Aero+ MCC rear wheel lives up to its name with generous serving of carbon fiber. Beyond the 3k/12k 47mm carbon rim, the wheel has a carbon hub and 12 carbon spokes. The rear weighs a claimed 620g.
Vino’s front wheel is somewhat less exotic. The Carbon Viva S uses a 12k carbon rim and 18 metal spokes for a 480g claimed weight
Vino uses a nearly complete SRAM 2012 Red group save the cranks. His S-Works Tarmac SL4 has a 172.5mm S-Works crank with an integrated SRM power meter.
The FSA Plasma Integrated Compact white handlebar and stem boasts a 370g weight.
The rear profile of Vino's bike, as seen by the front group of the Olympic road race as he charged away
Complete bike specifications
- Frameset: Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4, 52cm, stock geometry
- Stem/handlebar: FSA Plasma Integrated Compact, 120 stem, 42 bar
- Front brake: SRAM 2012 Red
- Rear brake: SRAM 2012 Red
- Front derailleur: SRAM 2012 Red
- Rear derailleur: SRAM 2012 Red
- Shift levers: SRAM 2012 Red
- Crankset: Specialized S-Works SL FACT, 172.5mm, 53/39t
- Power meter: SRM spider on S-Works crank
- Bottle cages: Tacx
- Bottom bracket: Specialized S-Works
- Pedals: Look Kéo Blade
- Front wheel: Carbon Viva S
- Rear wheel: Carbon Aero+ MCC
- Tires: Specialized team tubulars
- Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Team Edition
- Seatpost: FSA Monolink Carbon Seatpost 27.2
- Rider's height: 177cm/5ft 10in
- Rider's weight: 68kg/150lb
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 71.2cm
- Handlebar height: 51.5cm