Pro bike: Alexandre Vinokourov's Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4
By Ben Delaney | Monday, July 30, 2012 2.55am
Alexandre Vinokorouv came into the 2012 Olympic Men's Road Race with just a single teammate, Assan Bazayev. While no country had a 9-man squad, as in the Tour de France, there were nine squads with five a piece: Spain, Italy, Great Britain, the United States, Belgium, Australia, Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands. At the end of the day, all Vinokourov needed was a bike and the right moment.
Vinokourov rode an Olympic version of his Team Astana Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4. The only difference in the frame is the paint — neon red, as for all of Specialized’s Olympic riders — and the limited branding that Olympic rules dictate.
Similarly, the Corima wheels that Vino rode were a Carbon Viva S front and a Carbon Aero+ MCC rear, with decaling stripped down to a single logo on each side.
In addition to the number of logos, Olympic rules also specify exactly how tall each logo can be.
The Carbon Aero+ MCC rear wheel lives up to its name with generous serving of carbon fiber. Beyond the 3k/12k 47mm carbon rim, the wheel has a carbon hub and 12 carbon spokes. The rear weighs a claimed 620g.
Vino’s front wheel is somewhat less exotic. The Carbon Viva S uses a 12k carbon rim and 18 metal spokes for a 480g claimed weight
Vino uses a nearly complete SRAM 2012 Red group save the cranks. His S-Works Tarmac SL4 has a 172.5mm S-Works crank with an integrated SRM power meter.
The FSA Plasma Integrated Compact white handlebar and stem boasts a 370g weight.
The rear profile of Vino's bike, as seen by the front group of the Olympic road race as he charged away
BikeRadar is not responsible for the
content of external websites
Complete bike specifications
Frameset: Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4, 52cm, stock geometry
- Stem/handlebar: FSA Plasma Integrated Compact, 120 stem, 42 bar
- Front brake: SRAM 2012 Red
- Rear brake: SRAM 2012 Red
- Front derailleur: SRAM 2012 Red
- Rear derailleur: SRAM 2012 Red
- Shift levers: SRAM 2012 Red
- Crankset: Specialized S-Works SL FACT, 172.5mm, 53/39t
Power meter: SRM spider on S-Works crank
Bottle cages: Tacx
- Bottom bracket: Specialized S-Works
- Pedals: Look Kéo Blade
- Front wheel: Carbon Viva S
Rear wheel: Carbon Aero+ MCC
- Tires: Specialized team tubulars
- Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Team Edition
- Seatpost: FSA Monolink Carbon Seatpost 27.2
- Rider's height: 177cm/5ft 10in
- Rider's weight: 68kg/150lb
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 71.2cm
Handlebar height: 51.5cm
You can follow BikeRadar on Twitter at twitter.com/bikeradar and on
Facebook at facebook.com/BikeRadar.
can also improve your fitness and train with us on training.bikeradar.com.