Wilco Kelderman has been touted as the next star of Dutch cycling. The label usually comes attached to a big bag of public expectation, but the 23-year-old Belkin rider appears to be carrying it lightly this season. He took seventh at the Giro d'Italia in May – only his second grand tour – and is currently third at the Critérium du Dauphiné where he was almost able to match the pace of Chris Froome (Team Sky) and Alberto Contador (Tinkoff Saxo-Bank) up the slopes of the Col de Béal yesterday.
Kelderman is riding the very stiff Bianchi Oltre XR2, an all-round race bike in a standard team setup. That means Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 throughout, FSA components and, for him, a San Marco saddle tipped slightly forward.
The frame – ridden by most of the team’s stage race group – is a size 57cm. The frame is designed to be as stiff as possible, but there are some nods to comfort: the Oltre XR2 is built with slim seatstays to reduce road vibration and reduce weight without losing power transfer.
Kelderman is built in the Dutch mould – tall and very slender – meaning most of the kit sizes are on the lengthy side too – especially concerning leg measurements. Saddle to the centre of the bottom bracket is 788mm for example.
The bike, though an all-rounder, makes a significant nod to aerodynamics. Cables are internally routed and the front end's sculpted tapered head tube keeps frontal area to a minimum.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Bianchi Oltre XR2 (570mm)
- Fork: Bianchi Oltre
- Headset: FSA Orbit 1 1/8in to 1 1/2in internal system
- Stem: FSA OS-99, 110mm
- Handlebar: FSA K-Force Carbon 420mm
- Tape: Celeste Cork
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-9000
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-9000
- Brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-9070
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 FD-9070
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 RD-9070
- Shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-9070
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-9000, 11-28
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-9000
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace FC-9000, 172.5mm, 53/39
- Bottom bracket: Shimano SM-BB9000
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace SPD-SL PD-9000
- Wheelset: Shimano Dura-Ace WH9000-C50-TU
- Front tyre: Vittoria Corsa SC tubular 25mm
- Rear tyre: Vittoria Corsa SC tubular 25mm
- Saddle: San Marco Concor Team
- Seatpost: Oltre full carbon aero + Shimano Di2 internal battery
- Bottle cages: Tacx Uma Carbon (2)
- Other accessories: Pinoneer Power Meter
- Rider's height: 185cm (6ft 2in)
- Rider's weight: 65kg (143lb)
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 788mm
- Saddle setback: 87mm
- Seat tube length (c-t): 570mm
- Seat tube length (c-c): 515mm
- Tip of saddle nose to center of bars (next to stem): 576mm
- Head tube length: 160mm
- Top tube length (effective): 560mm