Carbon wheels were once the preserve of sponsored pros and wealthy amateurs only, but prices have crept ever lower, with the cheapest options now costing significantly less than some top-end alloy wheelsets.
All the same, this deal on Prime’s RR-50 V3 wheelset from Wiggle is an exceptional one. For £499 you’re getting a 50mm-deep set of carbon clinchers, a pair of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance tubeless tyres and a bottle of tubeless sealant.
Discounted from £779.99 to £499.99, these are among the cheapest carbon clinchers we’ve ever seen from a mainstream bike shop (i.e. not a no-name overseas seller offering unknown warranty support). There are both disc brake and rim brake versions on offer at this price.
Which retailers and brands have launched Black Friday sales?
Black Friday has arrived! Take a look below for a run-down of which retailers and brands have launched the best Black Friday sales.
Black Friday deals: quick links
- Amazon – The retail giant’s ‘Black Friday Week’ sale runs until 30 November
- Chain Reaction Cycles – New Black Friday deals released
- Currys PC World – The store’s ‘Black Fri-Yay’ sale is underway
- eBay – Reductions galore in the auction site’s Black Friday sale
- Garmin – A number of the brand’s watches are on sale at Amazon
- Halfords – A wide range of Black Friday deals online
- Nespresso – Save up to 56 per cent on Nespresso coffee machines at Amazon right now
- Tredz – ‘Black Ticket’ event with significant discounts on ‘nearly new’ ex-demo and ex-display bikes
- Wiggle – The Wiggle ‘Brighter Black Friday’ sale features discounts on a huge range of products
Now, a caveat: we haven’t reviewed these specific wheels so we can’t tell you how good they are, but on paper they look like a solid choice.
Both rim and disc brake models of the Prime RR-50 are build on own-brand cartridge bearing hubs (Wiggle stocks spare bearings) with Pillar spokes.
The disc version comes with 12mm thru-axles as standard, but can be converted to quick-release with components sold separately, while the rim model is QR by default.
The RR-50’s specs are more up-to-date than some previous offerings from the brand. While the 19mm internal width is fairly middle-of-the road, it’s usefully wider than traditional designs, making these wheels a better match for slightly fatter tyres.
At this price we wouldn’t expect a 50mm clincher to be particularly light, and they’re not, but a claimed 1,775g for the disc model and 1,635g for the rim model isn’t bad at all. Also, they’re carbon! Everybody loves carbon!
Tempted? Head to Wiggle now: