When you’re out cycling it’s a good idea to have a few essential tools with you for road-side maintenance emergencies. But space is a premium so having a handy, pocket-sized multi-tool is a great solution.
Here are six of the best multi-tools to keep you rolling.
Topeak Mini 20 Pro
Topeak Mini 20 Pro Dave Caudery / Immediate Media
• Price: £32 / $40 / AU$60The 163g Mini 20 Pro has 25mm-long steel hex keys from 2-10mm, T10 and T25 Torx and two screwdrivers.
The chaintool works with all except Campagnolo, and incorporates four spoke wrenches, a chain hook and 4mm hex for adjusting the tool’s pivots.
A tyre lever and bottle opener complete a comprehensive selection.
Blackburn Wayside 19
Blackburn Wayside 19 Dave Caudery / Immediate Media
• Price: £33 / $35 / AU$60This 197g tool has T25 and T30 Torx, flat screwdriver, 6/8mm hex tools, chaintool, 50mm serrated blade, three spoke wrenches and a valve core remover, plus five removable ball-ended L-shaped hex keys from 2-5mm for unbeatable bolt access.
It’s heavier than most, but is a mobile toolbox that comes with a lifetime guarantee.
Lezyne CRV12 Dave Caudery / Immediate Media
• Price: £29 / $30 / AU$45The forged outer plates of this 128g easily-pocketable multi-tool bracket 12 neat, sturdy and corrosion-free tools.
The 30mm-long 2-8mm hex keys, Phillips screwdriver, T25 Torx and 11-speed chaintool incorporating three spoke wrenches should cover most emergencies.
The only issue is its width when working in very confined spaces.
Fabric Chamber Dave Caudery / Immediate Media
• Price: £35 / $50 / AU$80Fabric’s 170g Chamber matches clean lines with clever function.
Unscrew the aluminium housing’s base to reveal six double-ended tools that slide though the ratcheting top, locking in one of three positions for an efficient T-bar shape.
Hex keys from 2-8mm, four screwdrivers and T10 and T25 Torx deal with non-chain-related fixes.
Specialized EMT Road
Specialized EMT Road Dave Caudery / Immediate Media
• Price: £17 / $20 / AU$25A good size in the hand but tiny to pocket, the 113g EMT Road has forged aluminium sides and eight well-made hex and screwdriver tools that are long enough to access just about everything from saddle clamps to pedals.
It’s ideal for adjustments but won’t fix your chain, and the only omission is a T25 Torx key.
Crank Brothers Y15
Crank Brothers Y15 Dave Caudery / Immediate Media
• Price: £35 / $40 / AU$60
The frame holds two Y-tools with magnets to keep them in place. They have 40mm-long 3-8mm hex keys and a bit driver, which operate the 11-speed chaintool.
Two clip-on compartments contain a puncture kit and six tool bits, with two screwdrivers, T10 and T25 Torx and 2 and 2.5mm hex keys.
At 223g it’s weighty, but the tools are excellent.
• Crank Brothers