Nino Schurter – the reigning six-time men’s cross-country world champion – will race the 2020 edition of the Absa Cape Epic aboard this custom-painted, SRAM Eagle eTap AXS-equipped Scott Spark RC World Cup.
The Spark is Scott’s full-suspension cross-country bike, and this particular model is finished in a handsome fluro yellow paint job that features references to the Swiss racer’s impressive career.
Schurter rides for Scott-SRAM, so it’s no surprise to see his bike decked out in all of SRAM’s top-end finery.
The bike is built around a SRAM XX1 Eagle eTap AXS groupset, though a previous-generation direct-mount Quarq power meter has been fitted.
The Cape Epic is characterised by – in the context of XC marathon racing – fairly chunky descents, so, in a nod towards practicality over weight savings, a RockShox Reverb AXS dropper post has been fitted to the bike.
Unusually, this has been set up to be controlled by a SRAM eTap Blip that has been neatly fitted into a slot cut into Schurter’s left-hand grip.
Notably, Schurter has moved away from the Ritchey WCS XC pedals he previously used in favour of a pair HT M1T pedals.
The wheels come courtesy of DT Swiss and the one-piece Fraser IC SL cockpit is from Scott’s in-house finishing kit brand Syncros.
Nino will race the Cape Epic alongside Lars Forster – the winner of the 2019 edition of the race – and it all kicks off this Sunday.
Nino Schurter’s Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup Cape Epic race bike specs
- Fork: RockShox SID
- Rear shock: RockShox Nude RLC 3 120mm
- Remote: Scott TwinLoc Suspension System
- Cockpit: Syncros Fraser IC SL 90mm /-25°/ 680mm
- Seatpost: RockShox Reverb AXS
- Saddle: Syncros Tofino 1.0 Regular
- Grips: Syncros Silicon
- Pedals: HT M1T
- Rear derailleur: SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS
- Shifters: SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS
- Crankset: SRAM XX1 Eagle Dub SL, 175mm/36-tooth chainring
- Chain: SRAM XX1 Eagle
- Cassette: SRAM XG-1299 Eagle, 10-50t
- Brakes: SRAM Level Ultimate Blackbox
- Wheels: DT Swiss XRC 1200 Spline Carbon 30mm, 29in
- Tyres: Maxxis Aspen 29 x 2.40
- Bottle cage: Topeak Shuttle Cage Carbon
- Extras: SRAM Red Blip Box to control Reverb seatpost