Now in his second season with Katusha-Alpecin, time-trial specialist Tony Martin will again use the Canyon Speedmax CF SLX in the race against the clock.
For the 2017 season, the four-time world champion raced time trials aboard a custom black Speedmax with rainbow stripes, as well as a unique Kraftwerk-inspired design to celebrate the Tour de France Grand Depart in Düsseldorf.
Following Tom Dumoulin’s time-trial victory in Bergen at the end of last season, Martin is back to a team-issue Canyon Speedmax CF SLX in the bold, red design of Katusha-Alpecin.
Katusha-Alpecin pairs their Canyons with SRAM Red eTap drivetrains and Quarq power meters. In the past, Martin has been known to race time trials with a single chainring and no front derailleur, but his current build is equipped with an inner chainring to accompany the German’s massive 58-tooth outer chainring.
The Speedmax has integrated brakes at the front and rear from Canyon in an attempt to further improve aerodynamics.
The Zipp 808 front wheel has had the red Katusha-Alpecin decals added to Martin’s existing rainbow-stripe decals and remnants of the previous design, perhaps intentionally, are left visible.
Despite an infamous painful incident involving Martin’s undercarriage and grip tape on his saddle, Martin runs a thick strip of grip tape on the central channel of his Selle Italia saddle in an attempt to stay in position while racing against the clock.
Click or swipe through the gallery above for a closer look at the four-time world champion’s time-trialling machine.
Canyon Speedmax CF SLX specifications
- Frame: Canyon Speedmax CF SLX
- Fork: Canyon F32 Aero
- Front brake: Canyon B11 Integrated Aero
- Rear brake: Canyon B12 Integrated Aero
- Brake/shift levers: SRAM Red eTap with Blips satellite shifter buttons
- Front derailleur: SRAM Red eTap
- Rear derailleur: SRAM Red eTap
- Cassette: SRAM Red, 11-32
- Crankset: SRAM Red with Quarq power meter, 58t outer chainring, 175mm cranks
- Front wheel: Zipp 808
- Rear wheel: Zipp 900
- Tyres: Continental Grand Prix TT, 25mm tubular
- Handlebars: Canyon H26 CF basebar
- Extensions: Canyon E192
- Tape/grips: Ergon Canon base bar grips
- Pedals: Look Keo Carbon Blade
- Saddle: Selle Italia Tri with grip tape customisation
- Seat post: Canyon S32 Carbon
- Bottle cages: Tacx Tao
- Computer: Wahoo Elemnt Bolt