This article first appeared on Cyclingnews.
Geraint Thomas of Team Sky had made a name for himself in the spring Classics with a victory at E3 Harelbeke and top-ten finishes at both the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix, before more recently focusing fully on his GC ambitions in stage races.
However, with a crucial stage at this year's Tour de France over the Roubaix cobbles, Thomas had some leverage with the Team Sky management in adding this year's Paris-Roubaix to his racing programme, and could be a rider to watch on the day.
Thomas will be racing on a Pinarello Dogma K10, the Italian brand's rough-road frameset, which offers greater compliance and even rear suspension.
Team Sky races on Continental tubulars for the majority of the season, but switch to handmade FMB tubulars for the cobbled Classics.
The Pinarello is paired with the usual Shimano Dura-Ace R9150 groupset, with the only notable change being a switch from a 39-tooth inner chainring to a larger 44-tooth for the generally flat terrain of Paris-Roubaix.
Pinarello created a custom rear derailleur hanger. Replacing one link of the Shimano derailleur, the prototype hanger will likely offer greater stiffness, and Team Sky said the mechanics find the part useful.
As well as the automatic, electronically controlled rear suspension on the frameset, the Dogma K10 also offers some compliance from the flattened seatstays.
At the front end of the bike, Thomas uses Pinarello's standard MOST components, although double-wrapping his handlebars in an attempt to damp some of the vibrations of the cobbles.
Aluminium accessory specialists K-Edge provides Thomas with an out-front computer mount and matching chain catcher.
Click or swipe through the gallery above for a closer look at the Welshman's bike.
- Frameset: Pinarello Dogma K10-S
- Fork: Pinarello Onda F10 with Fork Flap
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Brake/shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100, 11-28t
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 with Stages power meter, 175mm crank arms, 53/44 chainrings
- Bottom bracket: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Wheelset: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100, C40
- Tubulars: FMB Paris-Roubaix, 27mm
- Handlebars: MOST Jaguar, 380mm
- Stem: MOST Tiger, 135mm
- Tape/grips: MOST, double-wrapped
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Saddle: Fizik Arione
- Seatpost: Pinarello Dogma K10
- Bottle cages: Elite Ciussi with additional grip tape
- Other accessories: K-Edge out-front computer mount, K-Edge chain catcher
- Rider height: 1.83m
- Saddle height: 780mm
- Tip of saddle to stem at handlebars: 575mm