Although the expense of carbon molds has made custom geometry cost-prohibitive for some companies, Cannondale had created a “54×58” mold for former Liquigas rider Daniele Bennati. Now used by Sagan, the frame size features a 54cm seat tube with a relatively long 58cm top tube.
BikeRadar test rode the Cannondale SuperSix EVO last year, and came away generally impressed by its light weight and smooth ride.
The claimed frame weight of 695g is impressively light. In fact, Cannondale love to point out that production bikes are “illegally light”. Team liaison Rory Mason was quick to point out the custom solid steel spindle used on Sagan’s bike to bring it up to the UCI’s minimum weight of 6.8kg (14.99lb).
Can you spot the steel?
“Last year we added the weight inside the seat tube,” Mason said. “But some riders – Ivan Basso, in particular – felt that the bike’s handling was affected by having the extra weight that high in the bike, so we moved it down.”
Aside from the Cannondale SL Hollowgram crankset, Sagan’s bike is completely spec’ed with SRAM Red 2012. Well, almost completely. The front derailleur is ‘old’ SRAM Red, with a SRAM Force steel cage marked SRAM Red. The SRAM Red cages are titanium, and some riders and mechanics prefer the feel of steel for shifting. (The 2012 Red front derailleur features an aluminum outer cage and a steel inner cage.)
This bike is Sagan’s second race bike. His first bike – which he won on twice in California – is identical except that it also has an SRM power meter, which provides information for the rider and coach, and more heft for the UCI.
To keep things tidy, Sagan has clear stickers on his crank arms to avoid scuff marks from his shoes. After all, one must keep things looking good when the bike is coming first across the line so often.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Cannondale EVO, custom geometry
- Headset: SuperSix EVO, 1-1/4in lower bearing, 1-1/8in upper
- Stem: FSA SL-K 120mm
- Handlebar: FSA Traditional Bend Alloy Energy, 42cm (c-c)
- Front brake: SRAM 2012 Red
- Rear brake: SRAM 2012 Red
- Front derailleur: SRAM Red (not 2012 Red) with a Force steel cage
- Rear derailleur: SRAM 2012 Red
- Shift/brake levers: SRAM 2012 Red
- Cassette: SRAM XG 1090 11-23
- Chain: SRAM 2012 Red
- Crankset: Cannondale SL Hollowgram with custom solid-steel spindle, 53/39t (note: his race bike also has an SRM power meter)
- Bottom bracket: Cannondale
- Pedals: Speedplay Zero Team Edition
- Wheelset: Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate
- Front tire: Mavic Yksion GripLink tubular 22mm
- Rear tire: Mavic Yksion GripLink tubular 22mm
- Seatpost: FSA K-Force
- Saddle: Fi’zi:k Aliante
- Bottle cages: Elite Pase Custom Carbon (2)
- Computer: SRM (not shown)
- Rider’s height: 1.84m (6ft)
- Rider’s weight: 73kg (160lb)
- Saddle height, from BB (c-t): 75cm
- Saddle setback: 95mm
- Seat tube length, c-t: 54cm
- Top tube length: 58cm (horizontal)