Like them or loathe them, electric bikes are becoming more popular. E-bikes have infiltrated every genre of cycling: road, mountain, hybrids, even cargo and folding bikes. Now, the electric revolution is making its way onto the water with the Manta5 Hydrofoiler XE-1.
Manta5’s Hydrofoiler XE-1 is a hydrofoil e-bike that floats on water and is powered by a rider’s legs and a 400-watt electric motor. The pedal portion features a gearbox and both a chain and a shaft drive for the propeller.
- Interbike goes electric: the best e-bikes from this year’s show
- This e-bike is powered by hydrogen
- Orbea Gain e-bikes don’t look like e-bikes
Manta5 Hydrofoiler XE-1 specs
- 6061 aluminum frame
- Carbon fiber propellers and hydrofoils
- 400-watt motor
- Detachable battery pack for easy recharging
- Claimed battery life up to 80 minutes
- Speed: 15-20 kph / 9-12 mph
- Weight: 19.9kg / 44lbs
- Recommended rider weight: 70-100kg / 154-220lbs
Ride on water
Manta5 claims the Hydrofoiler can be used on rivers, lakes, and even in the ocean with floating wings that rest just under the water’s surface.
According to Manta5, the Hydrofoiler has two pivot points in the front of the bike to stabilize the frame.
A guiding plate is claimed to cut to allow the Hydrofoiler to cut through waves, not push up and over them.
The average speed, as reported by Manta5, is 6 knots (11kph / 7mph). The lithium-ion battery features a IP67 waterproofing and has a run time of up to 80 minutes.
Manta5 Hydrofoiler XE-1 pricing and availability
Have a body of water you’ve always wanted to pedal? Would shortcutting through the lake decrease your commute time?
The price is £3,918 / $5,326 / AU$6,806.