Trek has announced a voluntary recall on all of its model year 2022 Speed Concept SLR time-trial bicycles, as well as 2021 and 2022 Emonda SLR road bikes.
This is due to concerns the base bar used on the Speed Concept and the Bontrager Aeolus RSL VR-C integrated cockpits fitted to the Emonda SLR could fracture if overloaded.
The integrated cockpit was also available as an ‘aftermarket’ product from model years 2020 to 2022.
For now, the recall is limited to Australia, but Trek has confirmed this issue affects customers globally and will be communicating recall measures in other territories imminently. The recall was initially issued on 7 June 2022.
The brand recommends you stop riding the bike and contact an authorised Trek retailer to make a workshop appointment to replace the base bar or integrated cockpit.
Trek cautions that, should the base bar or cockpit break while riding, a “rider could be involved in a serious accident”.
The affected models are as follows:
- Trek Speed Concept SLR 9 2022
- Trek Speed Concept SLR 9 eTap 2022
- Trek Speed Concept SLR 7 2022
- Trek Speed Concept SLR 7 eTap 2022
- Trek Speed Concept SLR 6 eTap 2022
- Trek Emonda SLR 6 2021
- Trek Emonda SLR 6 eTap 2021
- Trek Emonda SLR 7 2021
- Trek Emonda SLR 7 eTap 2021
- Trek Emonda SLR 8 2021
- Trek Emonda SLR 9 2021
- Trek Emonda SLR 9 eTap 2021
- Trek Emonda SLR 6 eTap 2022
- Trek Emonda SLR 7 2022
- Trek Emonda SLR 7 eTap 2022
- Trek Emonda SLR 9 2022
- Trek Emonda SLR 9 eTap 2022
The full recall notice runs below:
Dear Trek Customer,
Our records indicate that you purchased a model year 2022 Speed Concept SLR bicycle , a model year 2021-2022 Emonda SLR bicycle and/or an aftermarket Bontrager Aeolus RSL VR-C handlebar/stem.
This letter is to notify you that Trek is recalling these products, because the carbon base bar and handlebar/stem can crack if overloaded. If this happens while you are riding, you could lose control of the bicycle and fall.
Your safety is very important to us. This letter contains important information about what to do next if you think you may have purchased an affected product.
- All model year 2022 Speed Concept SLR bicycles, including Project One and stock bicycles in any colorway
- All model year 2021 and 2022 Emonda SLR bicycles, including Project One and stock bicycles in any colorway
- All aftermarket Bontrager Aeolus RSL VR-C handlebars/stems
If you are unsure whether your bicycle or handlebar/stem is affected by this recall, please take it to your local Trek retailer for a free inspection. Do not ride the bicycle
If the affected base bar or handlebar/stem breaks, the rider could be involved in a serious accident. Do not ride a bicycle equipped with the affected base bar or handlebar/stem until it has been brought to a Trek retailer for replacement.
What Trek will do for owners of the recalled models
If you own an affected product, Trek will provide you – through an authorised Trek retailer – the following:
- For Speed Concept SLR bicycles, Trek will provide you with a replacement base bar, new bar tape, and installation.
- For Emonda SLR bicycles and aftermarket Bontrager Aeolus RSL VC-R handlebars/stems, Trek will conduct a two-step remedy. To keep you riding, Trek will provide you with an individual handlebar and stem until an updated handlebar/stem combo is available and new bar tape. The individual handlebar and stem are yours to keep.
Your retailer will notify you when the updated handlebar/stem combo is available for installation.
In addition, when you bring your bicycle to a Trek retailer for repair, Trek will give you a AU$150 in-store credit that can be used toward any Trek or Bontrager merchandise.
The credit is good through December 31, 2022 and has no cash value.
Thank you for buying a Trek bicycle and/or Bontrager handlebar/stem.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this problem may cause you.
This letter was prepared in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Trek may share your name and contact information with the CPSC so they can track the progress of this safety recall unless you notify us in writing within 10 days that you do not consent to our sharing this information with them. If you have questions about the information in this letter, please contact your local Trek retailer or contact Trek Customer Care at firstname.lastname@example.org or, call 02 6173 2400 Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST or online at www.trekbikes.com.