This article first appeared on Cyclingnews.
The 2019 WorldTour kicks off in a few weeks at the Tour Down Under, with the first sightings of the four new frame partnerships in the top rung of the sport, alongside several new tech partnerships.
Australian sprinter Michael Matthews has historically opted for aero-specific framesets in past seasons, most recently running the latest Giant Propel model. For 2019, the former Tour de France green jersey winner will be racing on the brand new Cervélo S5.
The new Cervélo S5 has all of the classic design features of a high-end, aero racing frameset. However, at the front end of the bike, there are a couple of unusual designs for maximum aero advantages.
First seen in time trial bikes, the S5 features an external steerer head tube, which is also seen on Cannondale's latest aero bike — the SystemSix. The Cervélo S5 takes this one step further by integrating the aero cockpit to include a V-shape design, aiming to improve both aerodynamics at the front end and rider positioning and comfort.
Although Team Sunweb has switched frameset suppliers, the majority of its secondary components suppliers have remained. Shimano provides the team with groupsets and wheels, alongside finishing kit through the company's sister brand Pro Components.
The team has switched tyres for 2019, opting for Continental Competition ALX tubulars over last year's Vittoria offerings.
Click or swipe through the gallery above for a detailed look at Michael Matthews' 2019 setup and keep your eyes peeled for all of the tech from the WorldTour opener at the Tour Down Under later this month.
- Frameset: Cervélo S5, size 54
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9120, 160mm rotor
- Rear brakes: Shimano Dura-Ace R9120, 140mm rotor
- Brake/shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace R9170 with satellite sprint shifters
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100, 11-28
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100-P, 54/39 chainrings and 172.5mm crank arms
- Wheelset: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100, C40
- Tyres: Continental Competition ALX, 25mm tubular
- Handlebars/stem: Cervélo S5, 400mm handlebar width, 130mm stem (0mm spacers)
- Tape/grips: Pro
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Saddle: Pro Stealth 152
- Seatpost: Cervélo S5
- Bottle cages: Elite Custom Race Plus
- Computer: Sigma Sport Rox 12.0