John Degenkolb (Trek-Segafredo) took a stage victory on stage nine of this year’s Tour de France and in doing so, the German took his biggest victory since a career-threatening training accident back in 2016.
Riding on the more endurance-focused Trek Domane for the cobbles of Northern France, Degenkolb has used the new Trek Madone Disc for most of the other stages during the race so far, which was released in the days leading up to the Tour, as well as using the lightweight Trek Emonda Disc frameset for the mountain stages of the race.
Launched at the same time as the new Madone frameset, Trek announced an accompanying special run of paint finishes for the frameset, dubbed ICON. For the opening stages of the 2018 Tour de France, Trek-Segafredo ran special Tour edition-finished Trek Madone Discs in ICON Chrome Tour versions of the paint.
Trek-Segafredo is one of several teams at the race to run full Shimano Dura-Ace R9100-series groupsets, with Trek-Segafredo also opting to run Shimano’s R9100-P power meter crankset.
Most of the finishing kit on Degenkolb’s bike comes courtesy of Trek’s component company Bontrager, which provides Degenkolb with Aeolus XXX 6 wheels, Montrose Pro saddle and XXX bottle cages, while Vittoria provides the team with its tyres.
The new Madone framesets feature proprietary cockpits, consisting of a two-piece aero system. Unlike the previous Madone’s cockpit, which was a fixed, one-piece system, the new cockpit allows handlebar angle adjustment of +/- 5 percent while four different stem lengths and handlebar widths should cater for most riders.
The new cockpit also features internal cable routing, offering Degenkolb and his teammates cleaner looking and more aerodynamic front ends.
Click or swipe through the gallery above for a closer look at John Degenkolb’s Trek Madone Disc for the 2018 Tour de France.
- Frameset: Trek Madone Disc in ICON Chrome Tour finish
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9120, 160mm Shimano Dura-Ace rotor
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9120, 140mm Shimano Dura-Ace rotor
- Brake/shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace R9170
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100, 11-28
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100-P, 54/42 chainrings and 172.5mm cranks
- Wheelset: Bontrager Aeolus XXX 6
- Tyres: Vittoria Corsa, 25mm tubular
- Handlebars/stem: Trek Madone 400mm wide, 150mm stem
- Tape/grips: Bontrager
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Saddle: Bontrager Montrose Pro
- Seatpost: Trek Madone integrated
- Bottle cages: Bontrager XXX
- Computer:Garmin Edge 520
- Rider height: 1.80m
- Seat height from bottom bracket (centre to top): 720mm
- Saddle nose to handlebars at stem: 590mm