Specialized’s S-Works Tarmac SL6 was first seen in a race at the 2017 Criterium du Dauphine, and both a rim and disc brake version were also spotted on the UCI’s approved frames list for racing at the same time.
Several Quick-Step Floors riders have been seen racing on the S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc since then, most notably Elia Viviani during the Dubai Tour and Abu Dhabi Tour, but despite this, Specialized has only officially launched the bike for consumers this week. Most likely to ensure supply meets demand in the first few months of sales worldwide.
We caught up with Zdenek Stybar (Quick-Step Floors) and Julien Vermote (Team Dimension Data) for a training ride the Monday after ‘opening weekend’ and ahead of Strade Bianche, where Stybar rode the S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc to a top-ten finish.
Quick-Step Floors has the Specialized Tarmac, Venge and Roubaix models to choose from and, in past seasons, team riders have ridden on a mix of these models. For the 2018 season, however, there has been a significant trend for the team opting to ride the latest Tarmac SL6 model, with even sprinters opting for the new frameset over the aerodynamic Venge — which is traditionally associated with sprinters.
Photographed following a recovery training ride, Stybar’s bike wasn’t equipped with a power meter, but the multiple cyclocross world champion has been using Specialized’s new power meter in races this season.
PRO is providing Quick-Step Floors' cockpit components this season, with Stybar opting for satellite sprint shifter buttons on the drops of his PRO Vibe handlebars.
Click or swipe through the gallery above for a closer look at Zdenek Stybar’s S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc.
Zdenek Stybar's Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc full specification
- Frame: Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc Fact 12r carbon
- Fork: S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc FACT carbon
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9120 Disc 160mm SM-RT900 rotor
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9120 Disc 140mm SM-RT900 rotor
- Brake/shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace R9170
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100, 11-28
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100, 53/39
- Bottom bracket: CeramicSpeed
- Wheelset: Roval CLX 50
- Tyres: S-Works Turbo, 26mm tubular
- Handlebars: PRO Vibe
- Stem: Specialized FACT alloy
- Tape/grips: Supacaz
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Saddle: S-Works Toupe
- Seatpost: Specialized Tarmac SL6 carbon
- Bottle cages: Tacx Deva
- Computer: Garmin Edge 1030
- Other accessories: K-Edge out-front computer mount in custom finish for Quick-Step Floors, K-Edge chain catcher in custom finish for Quick-Step Floors