I look at bike stuff all day, every day so it should have come as no surprise that Google popped an ad for a bike storage container on my screen. And what a storage container it is: Alpen's bike capsule is claimed to be a secure, waterproof custom home for your bike. Check it out.
- Asgard Access E Plus bike box review
- Stowaway stakes claim to being the ultimate bike storage solution
Alpen bike capsule sizing
- Length 79″ (2,017mm) x height 53″ (1,334mm) x width 32″ (818mm)
- Capsule weight: approximately 130lbs (59kg)
- Max bike handlebar clearance: 584mm straight / 813mm turned / 914mm with front wheel removed
- Max bike length: 75″ (1,905mm)
- Max saddle height: 46″ (1,168mm)
What bikes fit?
According to Alpen, almost any style of bike can be housed inside the capsule.
However, looking at the images, mountain bikes with wide handlebars appear to be a concern. The solution is turning the front wheel so the bars are at an angle inside the pod. In this formation, Alpen states bars up to a mega-wide 813mm can fit.
Alpen claims there's enough extra room that bike accessories can be stored inside as well.
Locking and durable
For security and all-weather strength, the capsule is made from UV-resistant polyethylene and has an integrated lock. Alpen notes that the sliding door rotates on ball bearings. The complete unit is claimed to be 100% rust proof and can be bolted to the ground for extra security.
Alpen pricing and ordering
Alpen is taking $200 deposits for pre-orders on the $899 bike capsule. Estimated delivery is September 2018. For more information, check out Alpen's site.