Former GB Cycling Team head mechanic Peter 'Spike' Taylor – heralded as "the world's best bike mechanic" in our Total Bike Repair & Maintenance bookazine – will lead a series of workshops across England this autumn.
The British Cycling sessions for beginners and intermediate cyclists will kick off in Manchester on 27-28 October, followed by London on 30-31 October and Birmingham on 12-13 November.
The Beginner Workshop (£65) is a half-day course for new cyclists with little or no experience of maintaining a bike, while the Intermediate Workshop (£125) is a full-day course for more experienced cyclists interested in learning advanced maintenance and repair skills. Topics covered will include bike anatomy, riding position, puncture repair, brake and gear maintenance, as well as oiling, cleaning and component care.
Taylor, who spent 11 years with the national team, said: "There's nothing difficult about basic bike maintenance and repair. These new workshops are designed to teach new and regular cyclists some simple techniques and give them the confidence to do the job themselves, saving them time and money.”
Stewart Kellett, director of recreation and partnerships at British Cycling, said: "The new workshops will be delivered in a fun and hands-on format, and are open to cyclists of all ages and abilities.”
There's no need to bring your own bike or tools, refreshments will be provided and anyone who registers for a workshop will automatically receive British Cycling Ride membership worth £24 free of charge. For more information, visit the Pro Tool School page on British Cycling's website or call 0161 274 2049.
British Cycling Bike Maintenance & Repair Workshops
- Manchester: Beginner Workshop; 27 October, 6-9.30pm; Harris Suite, National Cycling Centre (Velodrome)
- Manchester: Intermediate Workshop; 28 October, 9.30am-5.30pm; Harris Suite, National Cycling Centre (Velodrome)
- London: Intermediate Workshop; 30 October, 9.30am-5.30pm; London Leisure College, Crystal Palace National Sports Centre
- London: Beginner Workshop; 31 October, 9.30am-1pm; London Leisure College, Crystal Palace National Sports Centre
- Birmingham: Beginner Workshop; 12 November, 1.30-5pm; Moseley Suite, The County Ground, Edgbaston
- Birmingham: Beginner Workshop; 13 November, 9.30am-1pm; Moseley Suite, The County Ground, Edgbaston